Why is this happening?

Aug 8, 2013
Houston, Tx
I’ve been balancing the chemicals in our saltwater pool since it was built, 3+ years now. Thanks to TFP, I felt like I could handle this on my own and have been successful so far. Now I need your help. Our pool is green and cloudy. I upped the salt % to 20% which for this time of year is usually adequate. Even added a bottle of bleach. No change.

FC 6
pH 7.8
TA 80
CYA 70
Salt 3000

Ideas?

Did you test for CCs along with that FC?

Has your FC dropped at any time to allow algae to take hold? If your water isn't clear you are going to need to SLAM- SLAM Process

When you say you increased you salt - do you mean you increased the percentage of run on the SWG?

Maddie :flower:

You can't clear up algae with just a SWG. It works too slow to make any dent against the fast reproducing algae. You must go into SLAM-mode which gives the water (and algae) a big blast of chlorine at one time. This stuns the algae, and then you keep the chlorine up at SLAM levels to keep chipping away at it until it is all dead. Then you work to filter it out of the pool.

YOu need to check any hidden nooks and crannies for hidden algae which will hide... brush brush brush that pool! All corners, walls, floor and such.

If your FAS-DPD chlorine test reagents are running low, go ahead and reorder now so you don't run out mid-SLAM.

The more often you test and dose your pool (even hourly at first if you can) makes it go much faster. Don't forget to monitor your filter.

Go stock up on Wallyworld's 10% liquid chlorine (in pool section) or H.E.B.'s bleach... which ever is cheapest. You'll need at least 10 gallons to get started.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.