Why is my CYA high

shawn1112

May 10, 2019
Chicago Burbs
Got my pool cover off yesterday and as expected had an algae issue. Pool is above ground 54" deep and I drained about 2/3rd and refilled.
Was hoping it would lower my CYA level as I believe thats what cause my algae issue towards the end of last season. Started the SLAM process but took water tests prior to SLAM.

CYA 60
PH 7.5
FC 0.5
TA 120

CYA is fine. Don't add anymore pucks.

Oh and follow this chart for chlorine level.

Reactions: shawn1112
If you've been following the pool store regimen of feeding your pool a steady diet of trichlor pucks with the weekly dichlor "shock". that's why your CYA got so high. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that you were well over 200 CYA at the end of last season. (Secret: Pool store will write "99" on test results when it's off the scale high) When I took over my pool my CYA was in the 220-240 range. Hard to be more exact when it's getting diluted 1:3 and 1:4 for testing.

Astronomical CYA is probably the most common fault we see here when people arrive with a green pool. This weekend the forum will be packed with green pool threads.

If you've been following the pool store regimen of feeding your pool a steady diet of trichlor pucks with the weekly dichlor "shock". that's why your CYA got so high. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that you were well over 200 CYA at the end of last season. (Secret: Pool store will write "99" on test results when it's off the scale high) When I took over my pool my CYA was in the 220-240 range. Hard to be more exact when it's getting diluted 1:3 and 1:4 for testing.

Astronomical CYA is probably the most common fault we see here when people arrive with a green pool. This weekend the forum will be packed with green pool threads.
Exactly what we have done the last 12-14 years. After educating myself on TFP I have decided to make the switch to liquid chlorine this year.

CYA is fine. Don't add anymore pucks.

Oh and follow this chart for chlorine level.

Thanks bud, I thought 60 was high. I intend on following that chart once I get my algae issue cured.

Reactions: PoolGate
Thanks bud, I thought 60 was high. I intend on following that chart once I get my algae issue cured.

Did the overnight test last night and FC dropped from 23 to 17.
Checked about 9pm then at 5am this morning
Starting to think my Algae might have been mustard algae and its still present somewhere.
Will bump up the FC today and brush the pool really well again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.