Why I believe Pentair IntelliConnect is a pain in the Rear.

berniedp

Silver Supporter
May 3, 2020
Saint Johns, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi all,

My saga of trouble with the Pentair IntelliConnect continues - so I decided to do a write-up of the entire thing... Enjoy :)

April 2020:

Had Intelliconnect installed (alongside an IntelliFlo pump & iChlor) to replace some old kit that was installed at the home I bought a month earlier.

May 2020 till April 2021:
  • Link2O app issues every now and then making it unusable
  • Pentair replaced this with Pentair Home (massive improvement, imho)
July 2021:
  • 28th: Was impacted by the OTA firmware upgrade rendering the thing useless
  • 30th: Contacted Pinch-a-Penny – they opened a case with Pentair
  • 31st: Pentair reached out to me directly via email acknowledging the issue
Aug 2021:

Pentair came to my house to flash the motherboard making it functional again

Jan 2022:
  • 23rd: Faced an issue / bug with the Intelliconnect freeze protection settings where the temperature settings became messed up while trying to adjust the RPMs
  • 23rd: Raised the issue with Pentair
  • 27th: Pentair reaches out to investigate the issue:
    • They perform reset
    • Issue remains the same
    • Technician defines it’s “app related” and puts in an inquiry to see when the app update will be released
    • Haven’t heard from them since
Feb 2022:
  • 15th: Am contacted by Pinch-a-Penny who tell me “We finally got the motherboard from Pentair to fix the issue from last year” – yes, the case they raised with Pentair in July 2021 😊. I explained that this was already fixed but thought that this would obviously fix the freeze protect issue! So, hey, yes, let’s do this…
  • 17th: Motherboard is replaced with a PNRA1 version running the controller software from June 2020.

The good news: my freeze protection is working again…

The bad news: my pump now restarts every 15 mins… Intelliconnect restarts Intelliflo VSF every 15 minutes

All in all, I know this was a cheap-ish solution compared to the more expensive pool automation systems but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy it again... While past performance isn't necessarily an indicator for the future, I'm not convinced at all Pentair has a good grip on this one...

Bernie

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie,

See this link.. Intelliconnect restarts Intelliflo VSF every 15 minutes

Talks about not using the PRNA1 board..

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

I did see that (I referenced it as well in my post) - but honestly didn't realize that on Thu when they put it in... It's surprising that Pentair would be sending out replacement parts for their partners (Pinch-a-Penny in my case) to install that have a fault like this...
I know about the worldwide semiconductor shortage so I get it up to some point but am curious how this will get sorted out...

Bernie

Just for posterity - after raising another case with Pentair as well as my local pool provider (who installed the latest Intelliconnect motherboard), I got a visit from a local Pentair representative and they did a software upgrade of the IC. That fixed the pump recycling!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.