why do I need to keep slamming my pool??

Jul 6, 2018
Florida
We took over our pool maintenance from our pool company in June. We have learned some things since that time, but are still struggling with chlorine levels. We have been slowing adding CYA because it was low, and I need to test it later today to confirm latest #, but I know it is over 50 at this point.

We have slammed the pool twice since June, and after a few days/weeks, successfully passed the overnight chlorine loss test both times. The latest completed slam (in early September) occurred 4 days before my son had a few friends over to swim. Then the next day the pool was cloudy. The filter cleaned it up a bit in the next day or two, but it never returned to that crystal clear look, that is has after a completed slam.

We have suspected that we might need to maintain a higher FC level than what is recommended on here for SWGs. Keeping our FC at 5, just doesn't work. We have learned that our T-cell is actually too small for our pool, but since the pool is only a year old, it is fairly new. When the time comes to replace it, we will buy the bigger one. For now, we are adding the extra chlorine the pool needs.

We live under several large oak trees that constantly drop leaves and acorns. There is never a time when the pool is completely free of leaves. And we have 4 children that use the pool frequently.
Pool looked cloudy this morning and when tested, our FC was 4. Which is the lowest it has been since our early September slam.

So....given all this, what FC level would you recommend we aim to maintain? We had thought perhaps 10, but even that appears to be a little low. Since we are living in the middle between SWG and full manual dosing of chlorine should I take an average number of those two recommendations?

Would love your thoughts....we are going to do an overnight chlorine loss test tonight which I am sure we will fail and begin the slamming process for the 3rd time. Ugh! :( Would love to not have to slam the pool again for a long while, and hoping that keeping chlorine levels higher will make that happen.

I welcome any advice, thank you!

I would definitely bump up the FC once you get done with another slam. I keep mine at around 8ppm with a 45ppm CYA. I'm surrounded by trees and in the spring once all of the flowering ones and birches dump I usually have to slam once even when I keep the FC in range. I started using polyquat 60 pro team in addition to regular TFP methods in the spring time. May want to give that a try. It does burn some chlorine when you initially put it in the pool so you may need to boost the FC a little afterwards.

I had the same struggles as you with my first season of taking care of my pool. During swim season I simply cannot keep my chlorine at the recommend levels. I have to keep my chlorine between 8-10 for it not to be cloudy. In the cooler months in Florida, I can but not during swim season. I keep my CYA at 70.

Hi, and welcome to TFP!

Few things:

Recommended CYA for an SWG pool is 70 or 80, not 50. It may simply be that you are not protecting your chlorine well enough.

The guidelines and recommended levels you'll learn here are not be-all-end-all. Every pool is a little different, so if a recommended level isn't working, you adjust.

It sounds like you understand SLAMing, just make sure you're truly done before you stop the SLAM. Don't cheat the three criteria.

Have you determined that algae is not hiding somewhere in your pool, re-infecting it so to speak? Ladder? Light niche? In the skimmer?

They (OK, I) say there are two types of people. Those that pee in a pool, and those that lie about it. Your kids and their friends are, uh, taxing your FC level!

This is what worked for me, as silly as it sounds. Pee pot! I put it around the corner from the pool, just a $15 clay pot from Lowes and filled it with dirt. I showed the boys where to pee, and they love it, because boys are dirty little mongrels. They go back there. They take their friends back there. Fun for all, I'm sure. Just the notion of permission to pee in it has eliminated, or at least greatly reduced, urine in my pool. I took my little 3-year-old girl back there to show it to her, without much hope, and she cried the whole time. I thought that was it. But she now goes back there, too. Not totally sanitary for her, I'm sure, but she jumps back into chlorinated water, so I'm not to worried about her hygiene for that brief stint.

That might not be for everybody, but it works for our pool. You defeat algae anyway you can! ;)

Thanks all for your help! We are in the slamming process again, and will make sure we pass with flying colors ;-)

As to whether there is algae hiding somewhere in the pool...I don't think so. We don't have a ladder, and I don't see anything in the skimmer. Although I'm not sure about the light niche. I actually can't see behind the light, and we haven't had to replace a bulb yet so I have no idea how to take it apart. Does it just pull out of the wall? It is a Hayward LED light.

Thanks

I've never removed a light either! But I believe they are purposely designed for easy removal, since you have to do so from underwater, and sometimes without getting wet. It's just one screw, and out she comes. You know where to go for directions for anything: google "youtube.com pool light removal" and you'll get 30,000,000 hits (literally, I just did it)!

That's probably overkill, but you can check to be thorough. Your CYA is low and your "bather load" (kids, plant organics, etc) is high. Either can cost you chlorine, both together is a recipe for algae... especially if it's not 100% dead when you're done with a SLAM Process.

If your pool is already cloudy there is no reason to do an OCLT. You know you need to SLAM it to clear it.

With all those kids I'm sure you need to up your FC time and again after groups swim.

Can we get a full set of test results, please?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.