Why did my pH just drop suddenly?

8ightiesfan

May 26, 2020
Canberra, Australia
I've been taking care of our pool for almost 3 years now, pH has always remained very steady at 7.6 and I very rarely add any acid.

Recently I tested and pH was the usual 7.6, but CYA was extremely low (hadn't tested CYA in a while over winter) so I added dry stabilizer in 3 doses, 500g, 500g, 1kg over a 1 week period. CYA increased to 80. I also added 20kg of salt to top it up.

Yesterday I did a test and pH tested very low around 7.0, this has never happened before, could this be caused by something I did or we also have had a lot of rain recently, could a particular rain event cause this? I've increased it slightly via aeration to 7.2, but will look at adding some soda ash to bring it back up to 7.6

Just trying to understand if this is something that I caused?

Thanks

I added dry stabilizer
This will lower your pH.

Use PoolMath --> "Effects of Adding" --> "Dry Stabilizer".

pH tested very low
Clear Choice labs test kit
Possible testing uncertainty. Do you have access to a Taylor pH test (maybe a neighbor or friend)?

will look at adding some soda ash
Just keep aerating and the pH will rise. No need to add chemicals.

Consider bumping up your CH to help your CSI. Your pH will probably stabilize in the high 7s, which will also help your CSI. You need to have higher FC if your CYA is 80.

Last edited:
This will lower your pH.

Use PoolMath --> "Effects of Adding" -- "Dry Stabilizer".

Possible testing uncertainty. Do you have access to a Taylor pH test (maybe a neighbor or friend)?

Just keep aerating and the pH will rise. No need to add chemicals.

Consider bumping up your CH to help your CSI. Your pH will probably stabilize in the high 7s, which will also help your CSI. You need to have higher FC if your CYA is 80.
Thanks for the reply, I do have another older drop test kit that I also use to check pH, this also showed pH at 7.0

Thanks for pointing out the effect of adding in the app, I have never looked at this before. adding 2kg of dry stabilizer shows a drop in pH of 0.5, this definitely explains it!

Yes, I have some Calcium Chloride at the ready which I was about to add when I realized the low pH

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: pjt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.