Why did my capacitor fail?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
When the pool company opened my pool last week the pump was running fine on high speed. The next day I ran it on low speed with no problem, but when I stopped it and restarted on high, it wouldn’t run at all. I saw that the run capacitor was bloated and distorted like a soup can with botulism, so I replaced it and now everything runs fine.

Could this have been caused by the company’s decision to leave the pump outside and hooked up all winter? (Previous years it’s been disconnected and brought inside.) Would it help to simply remove the capacitor for the winter and re-install it in the spring?

Other questions for you experts out there so that I can learn: Why did the pump run on low speed at all when the capacitor was bad? Does this pump have a start capacitor? (My pool guy told me over the phone that it did, but I can’t find it.) Is there anything else I need to know in order to keep this from happening again?

It’s a Hayward Super II 2-speed pump, less than 3 years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.