Who wants to help on automation options (Hayward...mostly)

TF Tim

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2016
Massachusetts
First things first:
I have done some searching but haven't found a thread that really addresses this question entirely - but if I am being an idiot here and there is an existing resource please feel free to call me an idiot and point me in the right direction.
My current setup is in my signature.

Goal:
My ULTIMATE goal is to be able to see FC levels and control my SWG remotely, as well as pump and heater. However, I would be happy to be able to control my pump, SWG and heater remotely. I travel a lot for business and can have my kids test the chemicals, but they are less savvy in adjusting run times and %s.

Question:
I have been looking at the Hayward automation options and I am basically confused among the Omni HUB, Omni Logic and Pro Logic. And (or) would jsut buying a new pump be an easier way. Unfortunately I bought the VS pump last season a couple months before all the "smart" pumps hit the market. I ended up having a pool company install the new pump and the SWG as it needed some serious replumbing -- they were beyond clueless about automation. However, I am pretty tech savvy and should be able drop a wifi repeater into an outlet outside next to the equipment with a cat5/6 connection.

Deeply appreciate some advice from anyone out there that has been through this and can help point me in the right direction??

Thanks!
Tim

Well I only read the first 10 words in your goal section and can already tell you it's not possible. None of the automation systems out there actually measure chlorine levels. They use orp sensors as a surrogate for chlorine level but they tend to not work properly at the higher cya levels that are required for swg outdoor pools

That said, if you don't necessarily need it to automatically adjust your chlorine levels, I think many of the Heyward options allow you to get online and control the swg heater and pump. The omnilogic being the newest and I think most integrated with the internet

I
First things first:
I have done some searching but haven't found a thread that really addresses this question entirely - but if I am being an idiot here and there is an existing resource please feel free to call me an idiot and point me in the right direction.
My current setup is in my signature.

Goal:
My ULTIMATE goal is to be able to see FC levels and control my SWG remotely, as well as pump and heater. However, I would be happy to be able to control my pump, SWG and heater remotely. I travel a lot for business and can have my kids test the chemicals, but they are less savvy in adjusting run times and %s.

Question:
I have been looking at the Hayward automation options and I am basically confused among the Omni HUB, Omni Logic and Pro Logic. And (or) would jsut buying a new pump be an easier way. Unfortunately I bought the VS pump last season a couple months before all the "smart" pumps hit the market. I ended up having a pool company install the new pump and the SWG as it needed some serious replumbing -- they were beyond clueless about automation. However, I am pretty tech savvy and should be able drop a wifi repeater into an outlet outside next to the equipment with a cat5/6 connection.

Deeply appreciate some advice from anyone out there that has been through this and can help point me in the right direction??

Thanks!
Tim

I control my pump remotely via an outdoor heavy duty smart plug. I have it on a schedule, can override the schedule via my phone from anywhere and have it programmed to automatically turn on if the temp is over 85 outside regardless of what the schedule says. So far really enjoying that setup.

Make sure your vs pump is compatible with the Hayward Omnihub Pool and Spa Controller by contacting their tech support with the model number, unless you already know. I was interested in that controller but it turns out my 3 year old Hayward vsp is not compatible. I would only have on/off control using a smart relay, which would defeat the purpose.

Last edited:
To add a bit of context. I have a CircuPool RJ60+ and SmartFlo VSP3.0.

The pump has a remote interface module available for it which I installed. It lets you essentially close the 5V source to one of 3 pins to select the pump mode you want. You manually program each of the pump modes with a particular rpm. So using 3 simple relays you can select the mode you want.

For the swg I put a relay in line with the flow switch. I set the swg to 100% and control the swg ‘on’ time myself with my relay (basically simulating no flow when I want it off).

The heater works like the pump (Hayward) and it has a 24V wire I close the circuit on to either the spa or pool mode pin using 2 relays. Then I manually set the temperature for each mode and toggle between them. I have plans to add a temperature sensor and just leave it on spa mode at the max temp and regulate the on/off myself.

This is all controlled by some code I wrote for an ESP8266 and some C code. It exposes a web API which I then built a front end to in the PoolMath app.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.