Who is correct? Taylor Salt PPM vs Hayward Chlorinator PPM

mzuri

Bronze Supporter
Mar 24, 2017
GA
HI,
New SWG build 'professionally' retrofitted in February- the cell is vertical with hump side up, followed by the flow switch.

I just started the pool last week. I brought up the pool to 3200 PPM tested by the Taylor K-1776 however the Hayward T15 SWP persistently read 2600 PPM. Checke the cell for debris etc then unplugged the cell and plugged it in as mentioned previously someplace in the forum and now shows 2800 PPM. Called Hayward technical support who are completely useless - I have no idea why they employ a live person as they could automate their useless answers, as effectively she asked me to look up the website for programming and troubleshooting (no info about that of course). I called up one of the local authorized service and was told that it was common to have a discrepancy between the Taylor 10ml sample report vs the Clorinator cell larger sample and suggested I bring the PPM up to the Chlorinator reported level. Unfortunately, there is limited corrective calibration with this controller with a brief mention in the manual of accessing through the diagnostic menu setting as attached pic.

I smell a rat partly because of the unexplained jump in the reading and other very few posts on this problem but my cell is effectively new ( Somebody mentioned a hump down position for a horizontal cell which does not apply to me) - or am I just a skeptic ?

Does the horizontal or vertical layout of the cell make a difference - should not as Hayward allows for both? I guess I could be persuaded to coax the 'professional' :sneaky: installer to route the pipes horizontally and lose the compact layout and sacrifice the unsuspecting rose bush next to the pad if it made so much of a difference.

Thanks!

Instant Salt.png

Is the cell generating or reporting low salt? If it is generating then your salt level is fine.

You actually want to stay on the low end of the salt range with the Aquarite as higher salt levels cause component overheating and problems on the board.

The K-1766 salt test gives you the real salt level. The Aquarite guesses at a number.

Last edited:
Reactions: setsailsoon
I don't know what controller you have, but it is probably showing an average reading. So it may take a couple of days for the average to reflect the actual salt level. My Aquarite has an instantaneous reading by toggling through the diagnostic settings.

?Thanks for your very helpful comments.

The cell did not produce at 2600 and does produce now at 2800 but these levels appear arbitrary and I wonder if that will change just as randomly.

So I should bring up/maintain the salt level to the bare minimum just up to ' low end of the salt range' where the cell generates? How then does the K1766 help as I am really pandering the salt level to the SWG cell's own virtual reality, removed from the real world. As an example at what point of discrepancy do, I cry warranty?

I guess for now I will definitely not add salt to bring the level up in the cell as suggested by the authorizedrep.

As the cell ages the cell guesstimate and the actual salt level will diverge more. You do not want your actual salt level above 4000. So pander to the salt cell to keep its reading between 2800-3000 and watch your actual salt level.

What is your water temperature? The salt level guesstimate will not change randomly but water temperature is part of the calculation and the readings may improve as your water temperature increases.

Hayward Prologic PL-P-4 Controller as in my signature . Is the instant reading any use at all as the cell appears to use the average reading before deciding to generate

As the cell ages the cell guesstimate and the actual salt level will diverge more. You do not want your actual salt level above 4000. So pander to the salt cell to keep its reading between 2800-3000 and watch your actual salt level.
Gotcha! So pander to the cell and use the K1776 to prevent a real level from going above 4000. Presume when the cell is older and cannot cope at the 4000 real levels - is the point of cell replacement?

So K1776 is useful when the cell is older?

It is useful when the cell is crying low salt and the K-1766 tells you when the message indicates other problems then low salt.

What is your water temperature? The salt level guesstimate will not change randomly but water temperature is part of the calculation and the readings may improve as your water temperature increases.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water temperature is low at night but is currently 68F (The Chicago snow is cooling Georgia). I realize that the cell does not generate below 50F. any education note pointers about the effect of temperature on salt readings, please?

The water temperature is low at night but is currently 68F (The Chicago snow is cooling Georgia). I realize that the cell does not generate below 50F. any education note pointers about the effect of temperature on salt readings, please?

The black box guesses at salinity based on volts, amps, and water temperature. See how the cell compares to the K-1766 in August.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.