Who installs gas heaters?

Jun 23, 2017
Sparta, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The gas company is in the process of installing natural gas in our neighbourhood. We currently have an oil-fired pool heater (Laars XL) that is pretty old and will likely need replacing in a couple of years anyway, especially if the chipmunks keep nesting in it over the winter, so it seems like it would be worth replacing our house furnace and the pool heater at the same time. The one furnace company I called said that they'd run a gas line to the pool pad but they don't deal with pools so we'd need to call a pool company about a heater (and then they would have to go back to the furnace company to make sure the right size pipe was put in).

I'm assuming that a pool company would probably sub out the installation work to someone else, since it would just be attaching the heater to the gas line and the pool plumbing (and whatever electrics are required). My question is - what sort of contractor is that? I can obviously buy a heater from anyone, but while I replumbed my pool myself I don't think I'm competent to do gas fittings and I'd rather cut out the middleman and just go direct to someone that will do the tricky bits for me.

Putting in a new pool gas heater can be a three contractor job.

A pool company plumber places the heater, makes the water connections to the pool, and gets pool water circulating through it.

An electrician runs the 120V or 240V circuit to power the heater to the heater location. Low voltage connections may need to be made if the heater will be controlled by automation.

A gas plumber runs the gas line to the heater location and connects the gas line to the unit. The gas plumber should commission the heater, run initial tests, and check the operating gas pressures.

The local company you buy the gas heater from may coordinate the contractors or leave it to the homeowner. If you buy the heater directly then you take on the installation coordination.

Gas heater installation may get more complicated by unique siting issues and ensuring it meets all codes for clearance from structures.

Wow, more complicated than I thought. Thanks for the input, I guess I'll start calling the local pool companies for quotes (and be prepared for the northern NJ pool price sticker shock).