White Wispy Stuff and Chlorine Consumption

Mar 26, 2017
Naples/FL
Try and not laugh while I describe some bugs in my pool.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this but here goes. A few weeks ago we started seeing quite a lot of a white, wispy residue with small (smaller than a pin head) brown dots in some of it--my first thought was it's pollen but the pool is in a screen cage. At the same time, I noticed that my chlorine consumption was increasing, eventually to about twice the normal level. My first thought was SLAM but I had done that the month before after replacing a dead SWG.

The chemistry using a Taylor DPD kit is right on: FC: 8, CC: 0,PH: 7.4, TA: 70, CA: 350, CYA: 70 and NaCl: 3600. OCLT: less than 0.5 PPM. The water is crystal clear. But, my SWG is set to produce about 2.5-3 ppm to hold FC. When I drop to my normal level of 1.6 ppm per day, I was losing 0.5 to 1.0 ppm/day.

I was about to try another SLAM yesterday but decided to skim the pool to remove 95% of the white/wispy stuff, which using a magnifying glass seems like it might be a bug, but it is tiny. This morning, after half a day of running after skimming, I measured the FC, it had fish by 2.5ppm!

Could my FC be oxidizing a teeny bug infestation leading to a high level of chlorine consumption?

The other possibility is that my two month-old Pentair 1.4 lb/day SWG is not producing the amount of chlorine I expect.

Any thoughts?

I think my firtst question would be to ask neighbors if they're getting the same problem?
How long do you run you pump for each day? What setting is the SWG on?

Lets see if we can can figure this out....?

Maddie 🇺🇦

None of my neighbors know about their pool chemistry, which isn't surprising. I heavily skimmed for two days in a row and now believe that what is floating is some kind of tiny flower or pollen from the many palm trees and is what has filtered through the screens. Am I right that a lot of organic matter would consume FC?

So that we can swim early, I start running the pool at 3 in the morning and stop at 5 in the afternoon but at 1800 RPM. The 1.4lb. SWG should produce 2.5ppm at 44% in 14 hours in my 17,250 gallon pool. I was running it at 63% (3.6ppm) to keep up with the chlorine use but over the last two days FC increased from 10-11 so I will dial down the SWG a bit.

I know that 10 is higher than needed and for my CYA of 60/70 I would like to get back down to 5/6 but my pool seems to need me to stay above that or after a while I get cloudy water and have to SLAM.

Right now the water is crystal clear and the CC is 0.

It's windy today and more stuff is starting to accumulate. That's a chopstick in the photo (not a 2x4) so the camera would focus on the surface and give an idea of size. You can see the small stuff floating. The amount was about 10X what's there now.IMG_7851.jpeg

Those bugs might be springtails. Try to get a good close-up photo and compared to what you see in the following link.

Those bugs might be springtails. Try to get a good close-up photo and compared to what you see in the following link.

Even with my magnifying glass I can't see anything like those photos, I'm leaning toward organic matter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's the season, it's raining oak catkins here in north Texas, I fill 2 skimmers a day.
1651175600461.png
1651175676838.png (Not my Pool)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.