white substance floating on surface

Jun 14, 2018
Long Island NY
Greetings everyone. We moved into a new home that has a in-ground pool. My knowledge of pool maintenance/care is limited but I like to think I know enough to keep my pool clean and clear. Ill give as much info that I can.

18x36 (3 feet to 8 feet in depth)
I believe 26xxx gallons based on the online calculators
DE Hayward filter w/spec e90-iii pump, 2 skimmers

The previous owner opened the pool in the beginning of May and had a "pool guy" come twice to get the pool started, vacuum, add chemicals etc (I found the receipts). Not sure how much more care was given to the pool during the month of May but when we moved in on June 1st, the water was crystal clear. However, when I tested the water with the test strips, almost every chemical listed on the strip was at the lowest possible point with some not even registering on the strip. Chlorine for example was pure white on the strip. I knew I had to get to work but we had so many other things to do in regards to moving in that I overlooked it. About 4 days later, it began to rain everyday for several hours a day for almost 5 days. At this point I started to see the pool slowly turning green and eventually into a dark green. Darn algae attack. I started first by shocking the pool (there was a bucket of zappit in the shed) with about 60oz of shock a day, scrubbing the walls/floor with a brush and vacuuming to waste all while running the filter for 12 hours a day. I did this same routine for 3 days and the pool started to slowly clear up.

Grabbed a water sample and brought it to the local shop. They gave me the appropriate amount of PH, alkalinity, hardener, stabilizer etc., and bottle of pool first aid. I followed the instructions they gave me and went to work. As it stands now, the water is very clear and the test strips indicate that all the chemicals are within the appropriate ranges.

I still have dark brown clumps of whats left of the dead algae on the bottom that I still need to vacuum out. Dead algae must be vacuumed to waste correct? Is that the only option?

On the surface, there appears to be little white cloudy clumps everywhere. Is this dead algae also? I can run the skimmer over the surface and collect it but there's so much. What are my options to get rid of this stuff?

I also purchased bottles of kem-tek algaecide and robarb super blue clarifier which I haven't added yet. How should I go about adding those chemicals?

Thanks

This picture was taken at night with a flashlight. You can see the white clumps on the water surface and the brown spots on the floor

Ugh. That’s a bit of a mess, isn’t it?

First, don’t add anything else that the pool store told you to add. Second, stop relying on unreliable test strips. You need a good kit! I recommend the TF100 as listed in my signature.

You are going to need to SLAM to clear that up. Have a read through the SLAM article linked below.

SLAM

I tried to skim the surface earlier and it seemed like a lot of the white stuff was able to be caught in the skimmer but not all of it. It had a mushy/soft feeling. I left some of it on the skimmer and let it dry. Im thinking its pollen based on the dry pictures? Im going to buy skimmer socks and a fine mesh skimmer net (Amazon.com : Triluca Pool Skimmer - Fine Mesh Net for Sand, Silt, Pollen, Pet Hair, Leaves Outdoor) assuming it is pollen. My pool is surrounded by trees and bushes also

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.