White snowflake formations on water top (Non SWG)

cpye2

Apr 5, 2018
Augusta, GA
A few weeks ago I started seeing these white snowflake formations on top of the water. I assumed they were from the dandelions blowing into the water. I've cut the grass and there havent been any dandelion shoots for about 10 days or so, but the flake formations are still on top of the water. Current weather is starting to warm up, and we have had several 80 degree days in a row. Anyone know what this stuff is? I have a sand filter, chlorinate with bleach, use Borax to adjust PH, and baking soda for the TA. Vinyl in ground pool. Pool gets full sun thru most of the day, most every day. I tried to post a pic below of the water surface.

FC 4-7 PPM depending on what time I added the bleach
CC was 0 last time I checked
PH 7.8
TA 70
CYA was in low 40s

I test with a Taylor 2006 kit.

20180508_084205.jpg

I've been a tfp user a few years. We just moved to a new house this year with a much bigger pool, and the pollen has been worse than ever. I never had this issue at my old place (only 25 miles away).

My wife swears something is wrong with the pool, but I think that my pump just can't keep up with it. My test numbers are good, no cc, no overnight chlorine loss, and the water is clear except the top. I've purchased a skimmer sock on Amazon hoping it helps.

Same thing here as well, skimming takes care of it and using hairnets on the skimmer baskets works very well. This will pass soon enough and a lot easier to deal with than the previous months of tree debris of catkins and such.

Salty

I have the same situation in Northwest Arkansas. It is not as noticeable with the sun overhead but when the sun begins to set, the angle of the sun makes the flakes very obvious. My sand filter doesn't seem to be effective in removing the flakes; have tried some knee high hosiery stretched across the skimmer baskets and that has helped.

I went to Leslie's today because Walmart was out of CH Increaser (and I decided not to gamble on the cheap Amazon option). It's the first time I've ever went there to purchase anything. When I was checking out, this conversation happened:

Leslies: How's your water looking?
Me: Looks great!
[awkward silence]
Me: Well, except the pollen. [my mistake]
Customer next to me: Phew, tell me about it.
Leslies: Here, let me show you this Leslies Clear Aid. It will clear that pollen right up.
Me: I don't know. I'm picky about what I put in my pool. What's in it?
Leslies: I don't know, but it says right here on the bottle it clears up pollen.
Me: No thanks. I'll take a picture of the bottle and look into it before I buy it.

Unless someone here can tell me exactly what it is and why it should help, I'm staying away. I am hoping the skimmer socks I bought on Amazon help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is what they tried to sell me. Natural Chemistry 13118 CLEAR Aid Water Clarifier, 2L

I can't post pictures on here. I filled it up with pictures of my old pool, and I can't seem to put any new ones up [except to change my avatar]. I took some pictures of the pollen I have to post here, but couldn't upload them.

Just FYI, Bronze or higher sponsorship helps out with that storage quota. It was one of the perks for me. I know pictures help folks out a lot, especially with any DIY stuff, so it was a win-win.

Takes a day or so for the badge, etc. Congrats on the membership!

Even if that bottle was some magic pollen eliminator, how is it going to keep more pollen from falling? Honestly, best cure for pollen is the end of pollen season! Until then, I wouldn’t worry about it. You can use a skimmer sock to catch it there.

I just get in the pool with the net and play. I’m usually busy drowning wasps with it anyway.

Yeah. My wife is bugging me about it because it looks bad in the afternoon [when she wants to use it]. I keep telling her that there is nothing I can do as it keeps falling in faster than the pool can filter it. The pool is clean. It still has the TFP sparkle [which I worked to get after we moved in]. It just has a lot of white specs floating on top. She wants a magic cure, so I'm glad I didn't send her to Leslie's to get the CH increaser for me!

Here are pics of my pool. One is the avatar pic, but less compressed. There is a bit of metal staining on the tanning ledge (which was there when I moved in that I have not yet cleaned off).

Anyway, in both of them you can see the pollen I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• received_10155196687426436[1].jpg
    received_10155196687426436[1].jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180509_171612[1].jpg
    20180509_171612[1].jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 31
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.