White hard buildup and chalky looking areas

Jmstange

Feb 21, 2020
North Texas
I have been maintaining our "new" pool for a month now and it looks worse now then it did when we first got it.
Here are todays numbers:
FC 4.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 325
CYA 50
temp 78
CSI -.14

Problem one: Only one of my 3 kids has a chalky feeling and residue on her skin after she gets out of the pool.
Problem two: A calcium looking buildup at our spa wall has gotten bigger and thicker, other spots have shown up in various locations mostly at the spa wall, and our spillover now has a chalky white film look that wasn't there when we started this venture. I'm afraid my husband won't let me continue to care for the pool myself if I don't get this worked out. Thanks a ton!!

Attachments

• 70997.jpeg
    70997.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200425_165010.jpg
    20200425_165010.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200425_165020.jpg
    20200425_165020.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200425_165037.jpg
    20200425_165037.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Welcome! :wave: Your test numbers above look excellent from your TF-100. :goodjob: They show no indication of general scaling or anything wrong from your water/chemical management. What I see coming from the tiles looks to be more of moisture seeping-out from the stone/grout. That's beyond your control. But hang tight and we'll let a couple more set of eyes take a peek at your pics.

See this thread as a possible simil example"

Welcome! :wave: Your test numbers above look excellent from your TF-100. :goodjob: They show no indication of general scaling or anything wrong from your water/chemical management. What I see coming from the tiles looks to be more of moisture seeping-out from the stone/grout. That's beyond your control. But hang tight and we'll let a couple more set of eyes take a peek at your pics.

See this thread as a possible simil example"
Thank you!! Do you know why the spillway suddenly shows that film to both sides? Is that common?

Do you know why the spillway suddenly shows that film to both sides? Is that common?
Common? Well, it happens enough when moisture conditions are just right behind the stone or grout. What you need to do is determine the source of that moisture, Tomorrow I would contact your builder. There's a possibility the moisture is seeping through from the spa itself at which point the builder needs to find out of there is a defect in the plaster or plumbing. Let the builder see what's happening. Then you can clean the surface by removing the residue. Like in the article above, you might need to use some diluted muriatic acid.

Common? Well, it happens enough when moisture conditions are just right behind the stone or grout. What you need to do is determine the source of that moisture, Tomorrow I would contact your builder. There's a possibility the moisture is seeping through from the spa itself at which point the builder needs to find out of there is a defect in the plaster or plumbing. Let the builder see what's happening. Then you can clean the surface by removing the residue. Like in the article above, you might need to use some diluted muriatic acid.
Unfortunately, the previous owner had the pool resurfaced in 2017. I have no idea when it was originally built or by who. I will work on cleaning it up and keeping a close watch.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.