Jun 3, 2019
Indiana, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Latest test results (tested myself):

FC 1.5 (lots of swimming and sun today, bumping back up shortly!)
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 160
CYA 40

I’ve noticed some white flakes, but this evening there seemed to be a higher concentration of them floating in the water. Research seems to indicate that the flakes are calcium scale. Water has been balanced well since opening. One thing I did the past few days was brush around the water line of the pool to remove dirt from this area. Water is clear and I don’t see any visible calcium scale, except the flakes floating in the water. Photos are below of scale and if the area I brushed.

Is this calcium scale? Could I have brushed some loose? Anything to be concerned about? If so, what do I do about it? Thanks!

Your water chemistry results do not show you should be getting scale.

Do you have a SWCG? Do you have some acid to drip on a piece of it?

If you can put a drop of acid on the flake and it fizzles, then that confirms it is calcium.

I would think you would have see something that white on your liner if it was calcium scale at the waterline.

If you put a drop of it on that piece you had in your hand it will fizz and disappear if scale.

Be careful with the acid.

It feels like a dried paint chip...brittle and cracks easily. I’ve investigated the visible exterior of the pool and don’t see anything. I think I’d be able to see signs if something visible was flaking off like that. Any chance it’s something in the skimmer or return lines flaking off and being sent into the pool? Had the pump off today and noticed quite a few flakes though when swimming later in the day. I’ll continue investigating the visible sections of the pool, but so far I’m not seeing anything!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.