White chalk film on walls of my in ground fiberglass pool

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The chalkiness you are referring to sounds like calcium scale. Do you test your own water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006? If so, please post a full set of numbers for us. But our FB pools can get scale just like any other pool when the CH, TA, and especially pH are allowed to creep-up. Believe me, I know. :hammer: Is it a danger? ... no. Just an eyesore and takes away from the original color. Too much scale might lead to problems in other pool areas over time, but in the shell it's basically harmless.

Removing scale is a whole other issue. Unless someone was to drain their pool, which we almost never recommend, you have a couple potential options. Lowering the CSI level as noted on the TFP Pool School - Calcium Scaling page which is a slow process. The other possibility it a zero alkalinity treatment as noted on the TFP The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment page. To confirm it's scale, other than by consistent water testing history, you could try rubbing some 600-1500 wet/dry sandpaper in a non-conspicuous spot to see if you can get to the original color. Then you'll know.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Theycallmesunny
I to have the same problem with a white chalky substance, no matter how much i brush some will come off and sometimes will leave chalk on hand. I have tried upping calcium level, now at 375 and am trying to drop ta was 250 now at 175. Also have tried scaletec which makes walls soft compared to rough before. Im hoping droping ta and getting csi negative will help but not optimistic. Not as bad as it was wont make pool cloudy when i brush but if a lot of people swim for a while it will become cloudy.

I to have the same problem with a white chalky substance, no matter how much i brush some will come off and sometimes will leave chalk on hand. I have tried upping calcium level, now at 375 and am trying to drop ta was 250 now at 175. Also have tried scaletec which makes walls soft compared to rough before. Im hoping droping ta and getting csi negative will help but not optimistic. Not as bad as it was wont make pool cloudy when i brush but if a lot of people swim for a while it will become cloudy.

Could be paper mill crud....lol. Howdy neighbor :wave:

Why would you up Calcium under these circumstances? Seems that would increase your problem.

Yes , Love the pump. Calcium scale is some nasty stuff. What brand is your pool? How are you testing?

No idea on brand pool was here when i bought house. Testing with taylor kit. After looking in pool with spotlight at night im about positive its gelcoat issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you up Calcium under these circumstances? Seems that would increase your problem.

Lots of posts i read said raising calcium might help depending on if gelcoat contained calcium. Im pretty sure my issue is with gelcoat dissapating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.