"Whistling" Jandy Actuator

covkid

Mar 11, 2015
Menifee,CA
I have a 24V 2440 Jandy actuator valve situated downstream of the Filter which diverts water either to the Pool (in "Pool Mode"operation) or to the Spa (in "Spa Mode" operation). It spends most of its life in what might be described as a "Spa Bleed Off" mode when, in what is actually normal "Pool Mode", it delivers approximately 80% of the water to the Pool and approx 20% into the Spa, to slowly turn over the water in the Spa via a small Spill-Over from spa to pool.

The valve is now some 13 years old and, apart from having an occasional, rotational, tantrum due to missing the limit-switch, it still works just fine.

However, for the past two to three months, while in its normal Pool/Spa Spill-Over Mode, it has been making a quite pronounced "whistling" noise. It appears to be working fine, but the noise is becoming extremely irritating (I recently replaced my old, noisy, pump for a nice new, quiet one and I'd really like to enjoy the longed-for absence of noise!)

Anyone know what might be causing the "Whistle"?

I imagine it could be due to the steady "erosion" of the diverter vanes, caused by it spending the vast majority of its life in the "interference" position of the "Spill-Over" Mode, but I really don't know. Indeed, if I turn the valve to the full-on “Spa Mode position, the whistling stops. (Maybe if there's a "Fluidics" guy out there reading this, he could educate me appropriately?)

Note: I do have a prior, same model, Jandy Actuator that I replaced a little while ago, and saved in case of the need to steal some parts from it, so I'd love to use parts from it if I could. Not just to avoid the cost of buying a new one, but also to vindicate my "Pack Rat" obsession to my wife, who constantly berates me for clogging up the garage!

Any suggested fixes (for the Valve, not the Missus!) would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, you're right. I was carelessly using the term "Actuator", when I really meant the whole "Jandy Valve Actuator" (JVA). It's good to see that you and "JamesW" (above) are both of the same opinion as to the cause, so I'm pretty sure you're right. I'll do as you both recommend and post the outcome.

Thanks!

Re: "Whistling" Jandy Actuator

ck,

My link was just to show you what the basic kit looks like, not a specific recommendation..

Looks to me like the 2440 is the actuator P/N not the valve P/N, but to be honest I'm not up on Jandy products..

I suspect that JamesW knows for sure... He knows everything... :p

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize that the actuator and valve are two separate items.. The actuator just sits on top of the valve...

Re: Jandy Actuator

The Actuator is the electronics box on top that automates movement of the diverter valve underneath. Here is a pic of the actuator (note that it says the 2440 is equivalent to this p/n 4424).

Actuator

The diverter sits inside of something like this 3-port valve:

3 port valve

The diverter itself is at the link Jim posted above, with p/n 4720.

Just want to qualify this answer in that there are a couple other diverter types from Jandy (this is the "NeverLube") and I'm not 100% sure this one fits your system. JamesW is the one to answer that. I was just trying to break down the terminology of the system. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.