Which test kit to use?

Have you been using the TF100 for testing bromine? I’m out of my depth now and didn’t know it the TF100 0r K2006 could be used for bromine.

Match up colour? I’m definitely out of my depth, I thought the TF100 has a FAS-DPD titration test for FC, pink to clear where one drop = 0.5ppm for a 10ml sample. Maybe we could ask @JoyfulNoise for some help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DPD reacts with any halogen (Cl, Br or I). You simply adjust the multiplier for the halogen being used. The K-2106 might also have a slightly different formulation of the FAS titrant so that the math is easier to do, but it’s all the same test from a chemical perspective. Obviously in a bromine spa there’s no need to measure CYA. Just keep in mind that, with bromine, you are measuring TOTAL Bromine which is active bromine and combined bromine together.

Thanks splashpad and JoyfulNoise,
@Sjde
You can do everything you need with the TF100.

Thats a K1000 comparator from the TF100 with pH on the right and OTO Cl Br (yellow) test on the left. Matching the yellow is a challenge to be sure. Best just use that for the pH and a yes or no for the presence of any bromine.

Move on to the FAS-DPD test.
Using a 10ml or 25ml pool sample add one scoop of R-870, swirl. Add R-871 drop wise while swirling and counting drops till the pink turns clear. For bromine in a 10ml sample 1 drop = 1.25ppm(Total Br), or for a 25ml sample 1 drop = 0.5ppm(Total Br).

Chlorine Drop test - If you need to......1) measure Chlorine levels accurately or 2) higher than 5ppm or 3) test for Combined Chloramines…perform the Chlorine Drop Test. (FAS/DPD)
1. Rinse and fill the “Chlorine only” graduated cylinder to the 10mL mark
2. Add ONE heaping scoop of the R-870 powder and swirl to mix. (It may not all dissolve….don’t worry) The solution will turn pink. (unless you have no chlorine)
3. Next, carefully add R-871 solution one drop at a time. Count each drop and swirl until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added times .5 (14 drops X .5 = 7ppm)
4. Record your results as FC (free chlorine)
5. To test for Combined Chloramines, add 5 drops of R-0003 to the solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC’s. If it returns back to pink, add R-0871 as before, counting and swirling between each drop. Once the solution returns clear, multiply the added drops times .5 again…..this will be your CC reading. Record it. The total of FC and CC should be recorded as TC (total chlorine)

Move on to the FAS-DPD test.
Using a 10ml or 25ml pool sample add one scoop of R-870, swirl. Add R-871 drop wise while swirling and counting drops till the pink turns clear. For bromine in a 10ml sample 1 drop = 1.25ppm(Total Br), or for a 25ml sample 1 drop = 0.5ppm(Total Br).

I read on another thread that you multiply to FC reading by 2.2 to get the total Bromine level. Which is correct?

Nevermind the above, I confused drops for PPM.

I put 2 tabs in the floater about a week ago ang my bromine level went up to 27.5. For the past few day I have been periodically running the jets and leaving the cover open. last check it was down to 7.5.

Could I have too much Sodium Bromide?

What does the non Chlorine shock do if it is not a sanitizer?

FYI, water is clear and no smell but I have a red rash on my arms

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_174822661.jpg
    IMG_20190308_174822661.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.