Which test kit to determine SLAM level & Overnight Chlorine Loss?

Jul 21, 2014
smyrna. tn
I just started SLAM last night ,and upon reading criteria for success, I realized the kit I have will not show the levels of FC needed to determine chlorine levels that high. I have Taylor K-2005 complete test kit, the highest level shown for FC is 10. How am I to determine if I’ve reached slam level? Is there an electronic gadget you all use, or am I to take water to the dreaded pool store for eval?

numbers last night:
pH. 7
TA 70
FC 0
CYA between 60-70

If you order the FAS-DPD you will essentially make your K-2005 a K-2006 kit. That will allow you to test the FC at higher levels. Or you can order a new Taylor K-2006C. Even better, order a TF-100 test kit. A better value IMO. Good luck!

Reactions: Mdragger88 and AK-
Thanks, I ordered thr fas-dpd kit From Amazon and delivery is 4 days from now. So should I just keep adding chlorine if I get a color change on my K-2005? I’m checking every 3 or so hours. Also, how often should I backwash? I did add a filter sock, and it picked up some grime, but nothing green. I’ve been removing it and rinsing frequently. Any other procedural advice on SLAM?

Keeping fc up to the upper limit of your testing ability will help keep it from getting worse until u can test accurately - but be careful- you don’t want to accidentally go higher than 28ppm as that could damage your liner & is also a waste of chlorine. Save the heavy hits until u can test accurately. When your fas dpd kit comes you’ll want to maintain the 28ppm as often as possible.
During SLAM Process you want to backwash when filter pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.
Brush & or vacuum every day.
Take this time to remove your ladder/ steps & scrub them well (they are known algae hotels)

Keeping fc up to the upper limit of your testing ability will help keep it from getting worse until u can test accurately - but be careful- you don’t want to accidentally go higher than 28ppm as that could damage your liner & is also a waste of chlorine. Save the heavy hits until u can test accurately. When your fas dpd kit comes you’ll want to maintain the 28ppm as often as possible.
During SLAM Process you want to backwash when filter pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.
Brush & or vacuum every day.
Take this time to remove your ladder/ steps & scrub them well (they are known algae hotels)
Thank you so much for the info. First time I’ve ever had to SLAM, so the procedures were confusing as I was unable to find step by step clear directions on website. ( ex schoolteacher here, so specifics are my jam..lol)
Anyway thanks again.

Thank you so much for the info. First time I’ve ever had to SLAM, so the procedures were confusing as I was unable to find step by step clear directions on website. ( ex schoolteacher here, so specifics are my jam..lol)
Anyway thanks again.
SLAM Process

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.