Which pool pump should I buy?

Anywhere after the filter is fine but why do you really care about flow rate? It isn't really that important. For an in-floor cleaning system, manifold pressure is the more important parameter.

Turnovers are irrelevant. The only thing that truly matters is that you maintain a proper FC level so your minimum run time is going to be determined by your method of chlorination. Manual chlorination requires only about 30 min for distribution, SWGs usually require more even when set to 100%. Everything else is cosmetic (i.e. debris removal) or involved with heating the pool.

Pump Run Time

Given you have an in-floor cleaner, efficiency really isn't in the cards for you unless you don't use the in-floor. They are energy hogs and it is kind of a waste of a VS pump IMHO. Somebody above suggested ditching the in-floor and going with a robotic cleaner which would be significantly more efficient. But I don't know if you decided to go that route or not.

However, if you don't plan on using the in-floor, for energy savings, just set the RPM of the pump as low as possible so that water flows over the top of then weir door in the skimmer. This is your minimum flow rate and the most efficient way to run the pump because if you are not skimming, there is no point to running the pump (other than chlorination).

Flow rate really doesn't tell you much in terms of energy efficiency optimization.

Also, the Intelliflo will display flow rate.

Last edited:
Turnovers are irrelevant. The only thing that truly matters is that you maintain a proper FC level so your minimum run time is going to be determined by your method of chlorination. Manual chlorination requires only about 30 min for distribution, SWGs usually require more even when set to 100%. Everything else is cosmetic (i.e. debris removal) or involved with heating the pool.

Pump Run Time

Given you have an in-floor cleaner, efficiency really isn't in the cards for you unless you don't use the in-floor. They are energy hogs and it is kind of a waste of a VS pump IMHO. Somebody above suggested ditching the in-floor and going with a robotic cleaner which would be significantly more efficient. But I don't know if you decided to go that route or not.

However, if you don't plan on using the in-floor, for energy savings, just set the RPM of the pump as low as possible so that water flows over the top of then weir door in the skimmer. This is your minimum flow rate and the most efficient way to run the pump because if you are not skimming, there is no point to running the pump (other than chlorination).

Flow rate really doesn't tell you much in terms of energy efficiency optimization.

Also, the Intelliflo will display flow rate.

Mark, thanks for the info!

Whould I be better getting the Pentair 022005 3HP Intelliflo XF Variable Speed Pump if my suction side is 2.5" and discharge side is 2"? The price difference isn't that much...

"The Pentair IntelliFlo XF 022005
ir
(formerly 022055) is an extremely efficient and high flow volume version of the IntelliFlo variable speed pump. With larger suction and discharge ports up to 3" in size, this pump is able to deliver massive flow volumes for pool systems with larger plumbing line sizes (minimum 2.5"). Capable of 205 GPM at 30' resistance and 191 GPM at 40' resistance. On plumbing lines 2 inch or smaller this pump will not perform as advertised and the smaller IntelliFlo 011018 would be better. When matched with suitably large plumbing lines this is one of the most impressive flow pumps on the market."

There is also the Pentair IntelliFlo XF VSF (022056) - "This version of the IntelliFlo XF also incorporates the variable frequency technology from other Pentair pumps and combines this with the most impressive flow and efficiency that is available in a Pentair pool pump. The flow rates for this pump are identical to the 022055 XF model and as such also require larger than two inch plumbing lines in order to operate correctly and efficiently."

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
That is mostly marketing. If you look at the performance data, there is not much difference between the pumps. The XF is slightly more efficient but not by much (<5%). It can produce more flow rate but requires very little head loss which is not realistic. This comment eludes to this:

On plumbing lines 2 inch or smaller this pump will not perform as advertised and the smaller IntelliFlo 011018 would be better. When matched with suitably large plumbing lines this is one of the most impressive flow pumps on the market."
It isn't just small plumbing but restrictive elements as well (e.g. in-floor cleaners).

That is mostly marketing. If you look at the performance data, there is not much difference between the pumps. The XF is slightly more efficient but not by much (<5%). It can produce more flow rate but requires very little head loss which is not realistic. This comment eludes to this:

It isn't just small plumbing but restrictive elements as well (e.g. in-floor cleaners).

Thanks Mark. Was curious if I might see a bit better performance since I have 2.5" on the suction side to drains (2" skimmer), even though discharge is 2"... It sounds like the IntelliFlo 011018 is the way for me to go, even with the 2.5" suction to the drains. Do you agree?

Last edited:
I purchased and installed a Pentair Intelliflo 011018 pump in 2014. “Professional install” can be a plumber, pool service, electrician, or even a landscape company. About all you need is a bill for services that says they installed the pump. I bought mine online and had a local “professional” check my work and write a bill. Submitted it to Pentair for a full warranty and the rebate offered at the time.

Two things that I have to suggest are:
1. Purchase and use couplings. https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Hi-Temp...VMNY8VP7V0B&psc=1&refRID=NA045GZQCVMNY8VP7V0B
The O-rings make a dependable seal against the pump body and it makes future service a breeze.

2. Add whole house surge protection. I have two different ones. A larger one on my main power service panel. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AQAKRSS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And a smaller one on my pool’s sub panel. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052DMIUK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.