Which pool heater to choose

Pharrquad

Jun 29, 2019
MS
We have decided to put in a new pool and my wife really wants a heater. I’ve been a pool owner for 20 years but we recently sold that house. That pool did not have a heater so I know nothing about them.

The pool is planned to be 18’x40’ with an 8’ deep end and a 4.5’ shallow end. It will be a vinyl pool. I intend to put a variable speed pump and a SWG on the pool.

We live in North Mississippi. Because of that I really only need to heat up the pool a bit in May and again in September through the beginning of October depending on the year. It will not be heated during the summer. I want to raise it to 85-87 degrees.

What size and type would you recommend? We pay very low electrical rates because we are on TVA. We also have mild to low natural gas prices.

Thanks for the help!

Get a 400K BTU NG heater.

Check your gas meter capacity and gas pipe size and confirm it can supply the 400K heater with the rest of your household appliances.

Reactions: Pharrquad
Even though you only need the heater at the beginning and end of the season, that's a big pool. It needs a gas heater, not a heat pump (they only come in low capacities). We have a 15,000 gal pool and our 250,000 BTU heater raises the temperature by about 1 degree per hour.

Reactions: Pharrquad
I have the same size pool with a heat pump. Love it. I also run it in April and October. I also spark it up occasionally in the summer months when I need a little heat. One negative is its ability to heat at low ambient temps. The heat pump will only get you to about 15-20 degrees over ambient temperature. So if its 60 in April its only going to get the water to about 75 maybe 80. More expensive upfront cost as well. The positives are low cost to run it and placement of the unit is easier. Mine sits way away from everything. Probably 40ft from the house/patio area. No noise. Just my opinion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.