Which one - Pentair Intelliflo VS or VSF for same price?

etuser

Mar 28, 2020
Houston
Hi - so I was all set to purchase a Pentair 011028, when the sales person said the utility is running a rebate that would make the VSF 011056 the same price (or maybe even $50 cheaper). Everyone says get the VS, but if the price were the same or less, should I get the VSF? Thanks all!

e,

There is nothing wrong with the VSF, it is just that most people do not need the VF portion of the pump. I would buy which ever is cheaper.

If you get the VSF, I suggest that you set up your EasyTouch so that all your speeds are based upon RPM and not GPM..

If the utility is running a rebate, that usually means you must have a professional install. If you planned to do that anyway, then it makes no difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

E,

In the old days, there were two pumps, a VS pump and a VF pump. We never recommend the VF pump, and my guess is that 90% of the pumps were VS...

Pentair decide to make just one pump, the VSF..

Some people still believe that you must turnover your pool water X times a day, so knowing the GPM makes that calculation easier. But the fact is that turnovers are a myth.

I just like simple, and the VS is dirt simple..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds good. One more question - right now I have a single speed pump hooked into my Compool 3600 Panel (that I used the Compool to ET upgrade in order the upgrade).

What rewiring should I expect to see? I imagine the pump relay will need to be bypassed so the pump has constant power and the Intelliflo 485 cable will need to be attached to the ET board. Anything else? Any tricks I should be aware of to make sure all goes smoothly?

E,

To power the pump, you can just move the wires going to the new IntelliFlo from the load side of the pump filter relay over to the line side.

A cable comes with the IntelliFlo.. One end plugs into the pump and the other end gets connected to the comm port connector in your automation. Green to Green and Yellow to Yellow and you are done. NEVER screw with the comm port wiring when the power is on at either end of the wiring..

You will need to tell the automation that you have an IntelliFlo and the type.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe another question - if I don’t need the relay controlling the pump any longer since the new pump is going to be wired to constant power, can I use that relay for something else? If so, what types of things might I consider?

Right now, on my Easytouch, I have a waterfall pump on a relay, an air blower on another, and lights on a third. (My landscape and equipment pad lights are controlled through my Control4 home automation system.)

Thanks.

E,

Good luck with that... :)

You can't control the pump/filter relay like you can an Aux relay.. The pump/filter relay comes on any time you are in the Pool mode or Spa mode and the pump is scheduled to run.

You could remove the coil wire from the pump/filter connector and connect it to the Solar connection.. Then then relay becomes the AuxEx relay and acts like any Aux relay.. Of course, you can not do that if you plan to use a solar system..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
E,

Wait... you asked if you could use the pump/filter relay for something else.. The answer is no.. but I showed you and option to add a extra using the old pump/filter relay.. It is an option if in the future you need to control other things..

Like a pad light, or shed light, or stenner pump or ????? anything that needs 120 or 240 volts to operate.

The coil wire is the little cable that connects the relay to the main board. It is what tells the relay to close or open.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, not sure I am following so let me confirm. I can remove the relay currently connected to the filter connection on the board, and move that connection to one of the AUX ports on the ET board - and then I will be able to use the AUX (with the relay I just moved over) to control something else in the future. Is that correct?

E,

I assume you have an EasyTouch 4... if so, you have already used your three Aux relays.. to add a 4th Aux relay, you have to plug the additional relay into the Solar connection on the main board.

Basically, you are using the old pump/filter relay and as your new Aux Ex relay..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.