Which model - and can I make it fit?

Athlon646464

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
Been a while since I've posted - the TFP method is so easy for me I haven't had to!

I'd like to change to salt. Would the CircuPool RJ-30 PLUS or CORE-35 make sense for me? Or something else? (See my sig.)

Also - with the 11" or 12" inch rule - I may not have the space. Please see my picture. (By the way, I haven't used the automatic chlorinator in the picture since I found this forum - been strictly liquid chlorine for me for years.)

From the valve to the elbow on the right there is 12". From the bottom of the elbow to where the hose begins to curve to the right there is about 19". Can I make this work?

PXL_20210518_205850996.jpg

You will want to go vertical. Circupool has kits with the pvc components needed.

Your pool will need a SWCG rated for at least 40K. Unless you run your single speed pump for more than 12-16 hours per day now.

You can also re-pipe the return coming out of the filter by going away from the filter and bringing it around and back. That will give you enough room for the flow switch and SWG for sure. I agree with Marty above, get one rated for at least 40K gallons.

That’s exactly what they were talking about. It’s a great kit for ease of use, but if you are the least bit handy you can build you own (following their example) for half the price. That way you can also custom make it for your exact application. Keep in mind that it doesn’t *have* to go up. You can use it or build you own loop to the left that hooks back to the right and keep it at ground level.

There are pads out there with simply no options other than going up, But you have lots of free space. Whenever I see the vertical ones, all I see is a handrail that I will fall into / grab when doing something else nearby. Trying to get the stubborn MPV off the filter for example...... arm slips and smashes right into the vertical handrail. It will probably be ok, and no worse than it already is with your tab feeder, but I try to minimize my clumsiness. :)

I guess that upright install will work, but as you can see, there are a lot of quick turns in a tight space which would worry me as far as water flow is concerned.

If you swing wide and come back, there will be some 90 elbows, but you'll have much longer runs of straight pipe which the SWG and flow switch like.

This may not be relevant, but Pentair seems to favor vertical install with upward water flow through the cell. Also probably not relevant, but this would be consistent with my HVAC experience, where a vertical airflow over an evaporator coil allowed the coil to stay a lot cleaner. I'm still waiting for an installation appointment for mine, but I plan to ask for a vertical install with upward water flow.

but Pentair seems to favor vertical install with upward water flow through the cell
The internal flow switch has to be in the upward flow direction or gravity may close the switch on the downward side, possibly resulting in gas production with no flow. Explosions happen when that’s the case. So it has to be mounted upward or horizontal. (y)

Reactions: Athlon646464

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.