Which ladder for soft sided/intex style pool?

Jun 14, 2017
Florida
Hello everyone.
We are considering upgrading the ladder of our intex style pool to a A-frame ladder usally used for permanent AGP. I read a lot of people complain about these being flimsy and unstable as they are meant to be screwed into the AGP rail to stabilize. Who changed out their ladder and how did you solve this issue? I could only find a post about someone using shade canopy clamps from intex.
Any feedback, recommendations and pictures are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

We're using a safety ladder due to a dangerously rambunctious 3yr!
pool_2019-setup.jpg

We've used it to get in & out with & without water present (not actually swimming yet, burrr!), so far no complaints!

Reactions: Florida-Chevy
Hello everyone.
We are considering upgrading the ladder of our intex style pool to a A-frame ladder usally used for permanent AGP. I read a lot of people complain about these being flimsy and unstable as they are meant to be screwed into the AGP rail to stabilize. Who changed out their ladder and how did you solve this issue? I could only find a post about someone using shade canopy clamps from intex.
Any feedback, recommendations and pictures are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
This is the ladder we are using:

Reactions: beggehorn
This is what I did to stabilize my ladder. It’s been working well for me...

Reactions: Florida-Chevy
This is what I did to stabilize my ladder. It’s been working well for me...

I think that would only work on that THAT ladder or similar design. The 7100 ladder does not have the mounting bracket yours does. On mine, the top platform is what gets screwed into the top frame and I think that's the standard for most A frame ladders across manufacturers.

This is the ladder we are using:

Thanks splashpad.

Did some research and ended up with the one you recommended. Got a good price on Amazon and it was delivered in two days (early this morning). Took about an hour and a half to assemble. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality to price ratio.

It's heavier than I expected but I'm surprised that it tips and lifts off the bottom of the pool when climbing in. I'm about 6'3" and I realize I grab higher on the rails when climbing it than a more average sized person would. With the Intex Ultra Frame, I don't have the ability to bolt it to the frame as recommended. Any tips?

I found if I make sure to lean in (shifting my center of mass over the ladder as much as possible) and only grab the lowest part of the rail when climbing the first step, I can get in/out without issue. Pretty sure the kids won't have any issues given their height/weight but I'm worried about visiting adult swimmers. Aside from some instruction, I'm thinking about putting some red electrical tape on the higher portions of the rails as a visual reminder.

I'm thinking about putting some red electrical tape on the higher portions of the rails as a visual reminder.

I would go with Red or any other color self-fusing silicone tape instead. The electrical tape will eventually come off from getting wet. The silicone will be there until you take it off. And I think, you're right, because of where you are grabbing, your causing it to tilt, because you're probably pushing the bottom of the ladder in at the same time you are pulling the top of it towards you(similar to the way you would tilt a loaded hand truck or pull a straight ladder away from the house). Moving your hands down doesn't allow you to pull the top towards you. You could grab in the same place, as long as you don't push against the bottom of the ladder in toward the pool wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use 2 pieces of 3/8" nylon rope to tie the ladder to the tee's. My goal is to get the ladder pulled back to the top rail, and real snug to prevent side to side movement, works well as I remove my ladder before covering with our solar blanket everyday.

I think that would only work on that THAT ladder or similar design. The 7100 ladder does not have the mounting bracket yours does. On mine, the top platform is what gets screwed into the top frame and I think that's the standard for most A frame ladders across manufacturers.

I think it would still work with a 7100 ladder, but you would have to put the clamps on the sides of the ladder instead of under it.

Nah, it wouldn't. It would still rock side to side.

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong ladder, but this was an image I found online of the 7100 ladder:
669075E5-2344-4024-8005-9A26486231AB.jpeg

I’m suggesting installing one clamp on the rail of the pool on each side of the platform. That would stop the ladder from rocking side to side as the clamps would prevent the platform from moving to the side.

Just wanted to write an update on the Vinyl Works A Frame ladder we bought...

While it is working pretty well for us, I am a little disappointed in how much it is starting to bow due to the ladder being stored (slid up) when not in use. Because the latch that holds the ladder up is on the right hand side only, the stowed steps sag a bit on the left side and over time, really start to give the frame an awkward lean and droop toward the left. I imagine the summer heat is softening the material a bit and making it even worse.

So far, when the steps are extended, the frame straightens out. It is just surprising as I expected the ladder to be more rigid than it is ending up being. Actually, I've noticed the steps also *really* bow in the center with the weight of an average sized adult... enough that some guests question its safety. Because the actual steps are molded in one piece, I'm not really concerned they will give out but again, I'm a little disappointed in these aspects of the build quality, especially considering its weight (it is HEAVY).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.