Which High Temp, Waterproof 2 Conductor Wire for Heater?

Camen

Mar 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hey folks,

I admit, I'm lazy and don't want to run another conduit from my Hayward H400 gas pool heater to the OnCommand unit (about 15 feet) just for a 2 conductor control wire. So, and this might help others, I bought some high temp 2 conductor wire, and hooked it in. Everything was fine until it got wet and now the fiberglass insulation apparently has 'just' enough moisture in it to hold 1.5K ohms of resistance and my dang heater started firing off whenever the wire was attached, regardless of even being hooked up on the other end to the OnCommand.

So... now I'm asking... is there is a high temp wire (rated to be in a gas spa heater) that is also waterproof? Google and amazon searches turn up surprisingly zero useful results when search for high temp waterproof/exterior/outdoor wire/cable - or even just searching for spa heater control wire is useless (you'd think this would be a thing at pool heater part supplies - but it isn't). Is everyone really running conduit with high temp fiberglass wire - or the other extreme and not using high temp wire to their heaters?

I have found high temp silicone wire - up to 200 C. Is that enough of a temp rating to be lose next to the hottest interior parts of the furnace? I'm nervous since no other wire in my Hayward uses silicone insulation in that area (all fiberglass). Again, why the manual doesn't specify this wire type is beyond me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Richard

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.