Where to place electrical outlet on pool deck, and control for autocover?

I have a retaining wall next to my pool that will have one outlet. I was going to put that at the end of the wal so it didn’t stick out. Logic got the better of me and realized it’s a perfect place to plug in the dolphin robot cleaner. Just something to think about!

Dirk- Did you run one 12ga line and then use some type of connection you get on a Home Depot light? The kind that taps in to the power line? Or did you run power to a light, make up a pigtail for the fixture and then splice in power to the next fixture? So- at each splice - power in, power power out and power to fixture?

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Dirk- Did you run one 12ga line and then use some type of connection you get on a Home Depot light? The kind that taps in to the power line? Or did you run power to a light, make up a pigtail for the fixture and then splice in power to the next fixture? So- at each splice - power in, power power out and power to fixture?

I don't know what you get with a HD light, but if it's something you just clamp onto a wire, and it stabs thought the wire's jacket, then no, those are junk and will quickly fail.

The Volt lights can be ordered with 4' or 25' pigtails, 14G I think. They are sealed into the brass fixture. Stripped wire on the other end.

Then you get a 12G main line, which wires to the transformer. I put my transformer, which is in a watertight box, inside a second, bigger watertight box, along with some Home Automation switches. I ran the wires out of the box, through PVC legs that sink into the dirt, hoping that extra step would help keep bugs and spiders from finding their way into the box.

The mainline snakes around the yard, to pass within range of each fixture. I passed the line pretty close to the fixture, so once spliced in, the fixture could be moved around in that 4' radius circle to adjust its coverage and/or affect on the plants or deck.

At each splice, I cut and stripped the main line, and soldered two sets of three copper, stranded wires together. This requires a medium-to-heavy duty soldering iron, because soldering three big stranded wires together needs a good bit of heat.

Then I screwed the waterproof "goo-wire-nuts" onto/over the solder joint. The nuts do help make a secondary, backup electrical connection, but primarily the solder is doing that, permanently and waterproof. The nuts keep the bare wires from coming into contact with water or moist soil.

A also strategically placed several big loops of the mainline around the yard, so I'd have some slack to adjust its path. And then I zip-tied the mainline and pigtails nice and neat, usually attaching them to the existing irrigation drip line. The logic there was, now that the connections are bulletproof, the next failure point is me driving a shovel through the line! I figured if it was strapped to the drip tubing, I'd be less likely to forget where it was, and less likely to accidentally slice it in half.

Some of the lights screw into the plastic stakes that Volt sells. They also sell brass risers of various lengths, but I made my own out of electrical PVC. I spray painted them to match the brass, but could have left them grey. Both the fixtures and risers tend to visually fade into the landscaping pretty well. The brass develops a patina that disguises it further, they don't stay their original color for long. That didn't bother me. I suppose you could coat them with something if you wanted to preserve the color. While technically tha patina is a type of corrosion, the lights are not made out of sheet metal. They are cast brass, and quite heavy. I can't even guess how many years it would take for them to break down. I have many that are in the path of sprinklers, which I'm not concerned about at all.

Thanks for all the detail. I assumed you used the little stab connectors. I will treat it like a normal branch circuit in that power is not fed by one continuous loop, but a series of wires spliced/ welded (lol) together.

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Well, I would argue that by soldering the connections it restores the "one continuous loop." The "stabby" connectors are good in that respect, they don't sever the main line. But they're subjected to the elements and eventually corrode and/or disconnect. That corrosion is especially problematic in that it doesn't always present as a broken circuit (no light) but instead as resistance, which can dim the light. So after some time you'll have some lights go out, and others dim, or intermittently flicker, etc.

The transformers from VOLT have two outputs, 12V and 15V. The 15V tap is used when you have an especially long mainline run, and/or a lot of lights. It compensates for the power loss in a long line. And some of that loss comes from the splices. By soldering, you eliminate that "leak."

I agree with you! Soldering is belt and suspenders approach. Nothing wrong with that. I have never messed with Low voltage that’s more than the little stabby connectors. Our old house had spot lights when we moved in. I ran over one or two over the years and had to replace [emoji4]

I did buy a 250ft roll of 12ga wire. I bought a smallish transformer for back yard b/c I am only planning on 8 -10 3w fixtures. But will be expanding around to the front of the estate (lol)

Question- Volt branded LED G4 bi pin LED bulbs are about 14 -15 bucks EACH. A ten pack on amazon is about 18-20 bucks. Are Volt bulbs 10x as good??

Sorry for the semi related hijack, OP....

Todd

Of course, doesn't 10x as much guarantee 10x as good!!??

I couldn't say. Certainly sounds worth a try. I stuck with all VOLT components for simplicity and because of the un-founded assumption that they'd use the best bulbs available, as they did with everything else. "un-founded assumption" being the key words there...

I can pass this along: someone here warned me that while the LEDs themselves have great longevity, the little circuits that drive them are subject to failure. So from that I think it's safe to assume not all are made equally.

Mine are three years old with no failures. I'll be the control of the experiment. Get the Amazon ones and be our guinea pig!

The bulbs are on order. Now I just need to pull the trigger with Volt. I finally found a minute to call about a question last week and wanted to order my lights. He told me to just go on the website and order. I said you have my attention and my money at this moment. He said they don’t do phone orders for new customers. That annoyed me. It should be the opposite. I still have yet to log on and order.

I would (and did) run the electrical myself and put several outlets around the pool. You will want them for low voltage lighting and Christmas lights as well. You can do it all yourself probably for the same price as 1 outlet from the electrician. Are those outlets being hooked into your pool control panel?

The bulbs are on order. Now I just need to pull the trigger with Volt. I finally found a minute to call about a question last week and wanted to order my lights. He told me to just go on the website and order. I said you have my attention and my money at this moment. He said they don’t do phone orders for new customers. That annoyed me. It should be the opposite.

I would be annoyed, too. (Am annoyed, as I promote them regularly.) This is the world in which we live. I guess I was already a customer before I called them and started getting good service...

Yes, the outlets will be connected to the pool equipment. Are your outlets on pedestals around the pool? My deck is flat with no other type of close landscape wall or shrub except for a bush at the far corner (20ft away from water edge) where I plan to hide the Jbox. How should I have outlets installed without it looking awkward at the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think there is building code that dictates that. I'm sure they'll need to be above the grade or deck level, wherever they are located. If having one hidden in the bushes in the far corner isn't enough, then you'll have to get creative about disguising them. They shouldn't just be sticking up out of the concrete by themselves, for both safety and aesthetic reasons. Place near raised planters? Near benches? Or add some other landscape nooks and place them in those...

If your original drawing is your entire yard, then you can't have them anywhere near the pool on the back wall (upper wall in your drawing) or the right side. Only on the wall of the 7' deck section. Even that's pretty close to the water, I'm not sure of the code on that. Your future pergola area is close enough for a robot cord. Just put all the electrical over there. I already gave you the list of what you might run over to the pergola...

We sometimes use a fake rock to cover them. I put them in the landscaping area raised about 10" off the ground in a weatherproof enclosure. You'll need to choose where you want them for both convenience and safety.

Yes, the outlets will be connected to the pool equipment. Are your outlets on pedestals around the pool? My deck is flat with no other type of close landscape wall or shrub except for a bush at the far corner (20ft away from water edge) where I plan to hide the Jbox. How should I have outlets installed without it looking awkward at the pool?

Hi- I can try to get a better picture of this tonight, but mid way down my retaining wall I had the electrician stub out for an outlet.

fc9de9d045791a00bbce004ebfa9a872.jpg

If you look past the skidsteer to the left, he finished with 4x4 covered with vinyl fence sleeve and cap. It still sticks up, but it’s as dressy as he could make it. It’s supremely useful for the Robot cleaner.

88aa2deab4864ff72318919031fac490.jpg

Thanks! That is a good idea to make it look more polished than just a 2x4 with the outlets out. Yes, if you don't mind in taking a picture of the front of it when you get home, that would be great!

Thanks! That is a good idea to make it look more polished than just a 2x4 with the outlets out. Yes, if you don't mind in taking a picture of the front of it when you get home, that would be great!

Sorry for the delay!! Been a busy week.
94cde8967569d68653fb6b3ef591cc4d.jpg

2b203bd1a0df26e77badfea301a06ae2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.