Where to find a good test kit?

Gernot

Jun 11, 2020
Austin, TX 78736
Hello everyone,

I refilled my pool a little over a week ago, but I don't have a test kit.
After reading the comparison here: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool , I tried to order the Taylor K-2006. Google shopping directed to a web site called Sunplay, which said they had it in stock for $64.95, but a week later it still hasn't been shipped out. Looking on yelp, the company has terrible reviews, and a BBB rating of F. Looking elsewhere, the prices seem to be much higher, and I'm not sure the other companies are any more reputable.
Next on the list, the TF-100, is also hard to find. This thread Best place to get TF-100 test kits suggests that it's only available from the manufacturer (tftestkits.net) or Pool Supply World, but Pool Supply World has a BBB rating of F and tftestkits.net is not even listed.
I don't want to keep blindly dumping chemicals into my pool. Where can I get a test kit quickly, for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Gernot

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Order a TF-100 from tftestkits.net - great customer service and fresh reagents. Perfectly safe to order from them - just like 100's here do all the time.
Get the Speedstir too if you can.

The K2006 you ordered is most probably the 'A' version with the small reagent sizes. If you really want the K2006, order the 'C' version with the larger reagent sizes. But the TF-100 is really the better deal as it contains more of the reagents we use most often.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
If you order the TF-100 from TFTestkits by 2:00 PM today, it will ship today and you will have it in Texas in about three working days. There are thousands of users of that kit here on this forum that can attest to it's usefulness.

FWIW, a BBB rating is virtually worthless. A high rating can be means nothing other than you are a paid member. TFTestkits chooses NOT to belong to BBB

Good job. It reallt is an excellent test kit.

My guess is the Speedstir is out of stock. Probably difficult for them to stock given the current supply chain issues being faced in many places.

You can add the speed stir as an option if you purchase it through the details link, and you will get a bit of a discount on it. Shoot them an email and I bet they can update your order to include it. If its still on backorder you will get it when they come in. To my knowledge the are available now. I also see the Speedstirs are available through various amazon stores too.

My test kit arrived yesterday, thanks. I'm still in the process of doing my first tests.
TA came in at 390, I guess I have to add acid and aerate.
CH came in at 2050. No idea what units those are, but I've been told before that I have very hard water... Replacing the water isn't really an option.
My FC test didn't work. The solution turned pink, but then it never turned clear again. The pink went away but it only turned milky white, not clear. What do I do with that?

1. I think you probably need to re-do the TA test. You have a new, fresh kit and you probably need to wipe the dropper tip in between drops. Re-read the directions and wipe the dropper tip.

2. Disregard the CH test for now.

3. The test worked. Milky white is OK. After how many drops did it turn "milky white"?

Can you post a pic of your pool?

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Last edited:
Droppers need to be completely inverted and don't force the drops much. It's very easy for drop size to change and not have a uniform drop come off the tip. Smaller drops will throw the drop count off and the actual TA may be lower then the count outcome without even drops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.