Where to begin

kspan

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2015
uniontown, ohio
We are just now opening our pool! We were supposed to get a new liner this year but we’re unable to get one in time and they are still on back order. Because of getting a new liner we drained our pool before the winter and I feel like we are starting from scratch with a completely green pool! Just want some advice on where to begin. Thank you

None of these numbers make sense!!
The pH and TA are understandable in your area. CH can be low as it's basically N/A for your type pool anyways. But the very low CYA and what appears to be a very high FC are odd. Are you sure about that FC reading?

The pH and TA are understandable in your area. CH can be low as it's basically N/A for your type pool anyways. But the very low CYA and what appears to be a very high FC are odd. Are you sure about that FC reading?
Agreed!! I did the FC test twice! That’s why I’m so confused on what to do! I have muriatic acid but I’m so worried about using it. In pool math it says to put in 1 gallon & 3 cups!🤷🏻‍♀️

Agreed!! I did the FC test twice! That’s why I’m so confused on what to do! I have muriatic acid but I’m so worried about using it. In pool math it says to put in 1 gallon & 3 cups!🤷🏻‍♀️
Wait what? Stop and do not add Muriatic. That will lower your pH and it is fine. Let’s take a breath. Go back and do FC test with 10ml sample first.

Oh and Hey from another Ohioan…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
10 gallons would raise your FC by about 32-33 or so. If you were at 7FC and added 10 gallons, your FC would in fact be right around 40.

When you say SLAM, what does that mean to you?

10 gallons would raise your FC by about 32-33 or so. If you were at 7FC and added 10 gallons, your FC would in fact be right around 40.

When you say SLAM, what does that mean to you?
I thought that when you slam your FC is supposed to be high to eliminate your algae…but it never went clear!! We were supposed to get a new liner so we didn’t treat the pool at closing, but with all of the delays we never got a new liner!

Ok, let's start at the beginning.

There is a level, SLAM level, that you want to MAINTAIN your FC at to kill algae. Going higher doesn't help, and is just a waste of chlorine.

Go here (click this link) ---> FC/CYA Levels Then click SLAM. Choose the FC level for your CYA level. THAT is what you want to maintain during SLAM. It isn't a one time, super high level. It is a precise level you MAINTAIN over a period of time until 1) your OCLT Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is <=1, 2) your pool is clear and 3) your CC <=.5.

Test every 1-2 hours, or if you have work or other commitments, as often as you can, test, then add enough liquid chlorine to get back to SLAM levels.

Re-read the process here -->> (click this link) SLAM Process

I was where you were a year ago. We can get you to clear!

For inspiration --> How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Please).

I thought that when you slam your FC is supposed to be high to eliminate your algae…but it never went clear!! We were supposed to get a new liner so we didn’t treat the pool at closing, but with all of the delays we never got a new liner!
Think of it this way. Suppose the speed limit is 70mph. The rule is over 8 you're ok. Over nine, you're mine (get a ticket).

You are trying to go 250mph for a short period of time (adding 10 gallons) to get away from the police. However, they can track you with the helicopter or GPS, and you will get a ticket.

To slam, you want to maintain 78mph to avoid the police, but go as fast as you can to a clear pool.

Raise your FC to the FC/CYA SLAM target and keep it there as often as you can. When 1) your OCLT Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is <=1, 2) your pool is clear and 3) your CC <=.5, you are done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.