Where to add skimmer?

Msch99

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
Verona, MO
Currently have Intex with 2 outlets to pump, not skimmers. They are too close to the pump and inlet to pool, maybe 5' or so. Having trouble with dead spot directly across the pool. Upgraded pump last year to 2450gpm, runs 12hrs a day.

Tried different directions with eye inlet, very little difference.

Thinking to plug them off and add skimmer.

Should I add at about 45degrees from inlet?
Other thoughts?

First, why do you think there is a dead spot across the pool? What are the symptoms?

If debris is collecting on the surface at your dead spot, then a skimmer would certainly help at that location.

Thanks for the reply mas. ?

FC testing directly across the pool from the inlet / outlet leads me to believe this. The difference usually ranges from 1 to 3 ppm. The cc is also usually higher by 1 or more. It happens often enough that I don't believe it is testing error. I think the +/- is about .5 with tf100 test?

The main reason I ask where is because I would like a skimmer, currently both outlets to pump are below the water line. I thought if I was going to make a change, maybe I could improve the flow a bit.
Note:
The difference is usually the most if the pool is not used and left covered for a couple days or more. Once I discovered the potential issue we never go more than 2 days without uncovering and either swimming or using robot a couple passes.
My swg is undersized, (couldn't pass up buying a couple on sale for $45 when we replaced small intex pump/filter with sand filter) so daily or every other day bleach is added. I now add to far side instead of at inlet to help a bit.
I usually test in the morning about 30 minutes after pump starts, before I turn on swg. Pump runs 12 hours a day, SWG about 10. Testing in the afternoons still showed a difference, not quite as significant.
The low testing area also gets the most sun, but I didn't consider that as too significant due to testing around 630 or 7am and pool is covered.
Thanks again and have a good day!
Mike

A return would probably help more than a skimmer. Returns are much higher velocity and mix the water much better. Skimmers are better for collecting debris.

Where is the return relative to this dead spot?

Do you know what size eyeball is in the return? A smaller one increases exit velocity and could be used to reach the opposite side if the current return is opposite the dead spot.

Last edited:
pool snip.PNG

Agreed. Possibly add return on far side somewhere, block one of the current returns and add skimmer at the other return?

The measurements on returns are from the pool inlet port.

Return hoses are about (actually metric I think) 1 1/4" with T into a 1 1/2" to pump. Eyeball is 1 1/4"

The angle of the pool inlet arrow is close to what I am running, maybe showing a bit more angle than I can actually get.

If you are only trying to get circulation to the far end, you only need to add a return, no skimmer is neccessary and you dont want to block the current return. The more returns the better for circulation, up to a point.

However, if you would like to add surface debris removal, add a skimmer down wind so the debris blows toward the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.