Where should we put the Well point by the pool? High water table.

angb

Aug 3, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi, We are getting ready to have a 16' x 34' vinyl pool installed with a constant depth of 52" to the middle of the skimmer. We have a very high ground water level and want to make sure that it is properly drained around the pool. They will backfill around the pool with crushed gravel. We are discussing with the builder about putting in a weeping tile around the base of the pool, feeding into a 10" sump pit equipped with a 1/2 HP sump pump.
A few key questions come to mind that I am hoping you have some experience that you can share with us.
Will a 10" pit be sufficient or should we consider bigger? The water level in the ground was only about 12" below the surface this spring. the pit is going to need to be at one of the ends of the pool where there is a 6 foot concrete deck.
I am debating whether to put the sump pit near the pool in the concrete or about 8 to 10 feet away from the pool in the yard outside from the concrete decking.
Is it better to have it closer to the pool (i.e. in the concrete) or not. W
ill a 1/2 HP sump pump be sufficient? If I go bigger, will that just be overkill? Any advice that you can provided would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• fiberglass-pool-sump-tube.jpg
    fiberglass-pool-sump-tube.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
What kind of pool are you building. If a concrete pool put perforated hard pipe around the base and backfill with clean gravel then drop to a 10" sump pit and pipe it underground. Dont forget to run electric to the pit you do not want to be running extension cords. 1/3 hp is enough for a drainage pit you can play with the height of pump in pit later to keep it from running 24/7. Location doesn't matter the drainage pipe will bring water to where you want it. Do not use corrugated flex pipe no matter what you do only SDR rated drain pipe. I also highly recommend wrapping the base dirt and up the wall with a woven septic type fabric and then fold over to the pool wall a foot or more up on the gravel. Over time the fines in soil will migrate and 10yrs down the road the voids in gravel will ne filled with silt and not perc as well. If you have sand it qont be as bad as dirt but will happen. When you protect drainage pipe you protect its gravel too just as important as pipe

What kind of pool are you building. If a concrete pool put perforated hard pipe around the base and backfill with clean gravel then drop to a 10" sump pit and pipe it underground. Dont forget to run electric to the pit you do not want to be running extension cords. 1/3 hp is enough for a drainage pit you can play with the height of pump in pit later to keep it from running 24/7. Location doesn't matter the drainage pipe will bring water to where you want it. Do not use corrugated flex pipe no matter what you do only SDR rated drain pipe.
It will be a vinyl pool.

Then place drain pipe on top of concrete locking ring with proper pitch back to pit. If it's a deep pool I would do 2 pits. On long wall centered to hopper and then centered to the shallow flat area and pipe them to pits with pitch. The deep pit if you have deep end should go down to the bottom of pool. An additional good method is yo overdid the deepend by a foot and add clean gravel to come back to the right height. In that gravel put a square PVC pipe ring and drill alot of holes having down. T into the line and run PVC behind pool wall and into pit OR pipe it to pad and 3way valve it to pump and use it for emergency draining from under the pool using pool pump instead of sump pump.

I'm in a clay swamp I have 3 sump pits I feel the pain lol. Was easy to do just takes time to do nice and right

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.