Where should I install a check valve?

Palpatine

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2019
West Hills, CA
Hi TFPer's,

I'm moving my equipment pad and have purchased a new check valve... just not sure where to install it. I've read some posts here and I'm kind of thinking that I don't even need a check valve (maybe I'm wrong, I just don't know any better).

I was thinking to install in right before the pump... is that a proper placement? Should it go somewhere else?

I kind of waited til the last minute here as they're about to plumb my system right now, but I thought the contractors would just "know" where it should go. But they don't.

Any quick help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
P

Attachments

• Pool Equipment.jpg
    Pool Equipment.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 23
P,

You put check valves in for specific reasons, not just for the fun of it... :mrgreen:

If you have a raised spa, you put a check valve in the spa return line to prevent the water in the spa draining down to the pool level..

If you have a 3" tab feeder, you need a check valve between the heater and the tab feeder.

If your equipment pad is way up hill from your pool, a check valve in front of the pump works to keep the pump from draining back into the pool..

Why do you think you need a check valve? What do you want the check valve to "check"...??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Haha, @Jimrahbe that makes sense. I'm unfamiliar, becoming more familiar, with pool plumbing... but since there was a check valve there before I thought I needed one now when I move the equipment. It's about at the same level where it's going to where it was before... I wouldn't say it's up high or anything... but I guess since I have a new one I might as well use it unless there's a downside to installing it before the pump.

Thanks

P,

If you add a check valve it "may" mean you will have to run your pump at a higher RPM, then without a check valve. It just takes more effort to move the water through the plumbing. That said, if you had one in front of the pump before it won't be any worse.. And if you want, you can just remove the guts, if you decide you don't need it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Do you have a 3" tablet feeder??? If not, you do not need a check valve before the heater. I don't see a tab feeder in the old pic, but maybe I just can't see it or it was removed.

Did your pump have a hard time priming before? In theory, when the pump shuts off the water in the pump should NOT drain back into the pool. If it does you have an air leak somewhere.. Adding a check valve in front of the pump does not fix the cause of the problem, but it does keep the pump from draining back into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi @Jimrahbe ,

No tablet feeder. I will get a SWCG eventually, but nothing like that now. I imagine that I do have a suction side leak from what I've read on the forum here as my pump basket doesn't fill up all the way. It's close when I run on high speed but not all the way to the top. I also get some small bubbles going into the pool and spa from the return. I'm hoping that when I move the equipment and replace all the valves that the leak will be fixed.

Other than that... I guess I have no reason for a check valve... I suppose I just wont install the new one I bought.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.