Where do you all get your adapters to upgrade filter systems ?

mac1911

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2019
plymouth
Current pool is a Summer waves 16x48 5200 gal pool with the through the side Skimmer/pump/filter all in one unit. with a claim of 1500gph going through the small A type filters.
Last year I did not have any problems with filtration running the pump at least 8 hours a day and changing filters 1 week. aprox 10 weeks of filters here in NE Mass.

This year my wife decided to run the filter less to try and cut cost on electricity.....turned into a algae bloom and eventually the death of the current pool with problems coming later in the algae fight.....thats another story.

Any how I would like to up date the filter if its needed for this pool and pump/filter system if it will save money in the long run ?

I have a older intex sand pump given to me by my neighbor but its only a 100gph increase over current set up.? Although trying to run it with current fittings and set up has ne scratching my head as I dont know of any local places to find fittings and adapters?

Do you use a puck chlorinator or SWG? When reducing run time, generally, you need to increase the chlorination rate of your chlorinator (puck or SWG). Otherwise, you end up putting less chlorine in the pool. Shortening run time while keep FC levels the same should not cause algae problems. Filtering is not related to algae but FC levels definitely are related. So changing out your filter should not have an effect on energy use. However, it could have an effect on your cartridge use. Must the cartridges be replaced each time instead of cleaned? Getting a filter that can use reusable cartridges can save money.

Do you use a puck chlorinator or SWG? When reducing run time, generally, you need to increase the chlorination rate of your chlorinator (puck or SWG). Otherwise, you end up putting less chlorine in the pool. Shortening run time while keep FC levels the same should not cause algae problems. Filtering is not related to algae but FC levels definitely are related. So changing out your filter should not have an effect on energy use. However, it could have an effect on your cartridge use. Must the cartridges be replaced each time instead of cleaned? Getting a filter that can use reusable cartridges can save money.
I change filters weekly as they get pretty nasty with debris
I would rather update to a larger system More GPH if its cost effective

ok so im still looking for adapters to get my sand pump/filter to run with my skimmer.
I have been using this sand filter as a back up to when these cheap pumps burn out. I just hang the hoses over the sides until the new or replacement pump arrives. I would like a much better/neater set up.
Right now theres already 3 different hose sizes to make this work.

Any help or links to good adapters? Local sources are awful for fittings/seals/parts
JUxMkEem.jpg

T2KtaVhl.jpg

Going to bump this as i still have not found a good simple method of conversion from the summer waves to the intex pump with out buying all sorts of sleaves and adapters.
There has to be a simple conversion from slip on hose to screw on ends?

Have you tried going to a lowes or home depot and taking a section of your hose with you? Look in the plumbing section. When i replumbed my pool with pvc piping i went with the black rubber clamp on adapters to go from 1 1/2" pipe to the non standard intex/summer waves fittings on the pool and made my own screw on fittings for pipes to pump. They give some flex for my pvc pipes so nothing gets broken or cracked. The clamp on adapters work quite well and you just tighten with a screwdriver. If they go bad i can simply replace in the future.

Just an edit to add, summer waves and intex style of pools use metric sizing so fittings here in the us are statndard sizes so its hard to do wat your wanting without some ingenuity.

Reactions: mac1911
Have you tried going to a lowes or home depot and taking a section of your hose with you? Look in the plumbing section. When i replumbed my pool with pvc piping i went with the black rubber clamp on adapters to go from 1 1/2" pipe to the non standard intex/summer waves fittings on the pool and made my own screw on fittings for pipes to pump. They give some flex for my pvc pipes so nothing gets broken or cracked. The clamp on adapters work quite well and you just tighten with a screwdriver. If they go bad i can simply replace in the future.

Just an edit to add, summer waves and intex style of pools use metric sizing so fittings here in the us are statndard sizes so its hard to do wat your wanting without some ingenuity.
Summer waves is 1.5" vs intex at 1 .25"
Im trying to avoid replumbing everything .
The intex 1.25 to 1.5" screw on adapters look like a nice clean quick set up but they are 1 .25" on the " hose" end.
The problem with the local HD and lose is serious lack of any decent inventory.
I actually avoid HD/Lowes as much as possible as i seldom find what i need there for any purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.