Where Do I Start???

Tomorrow night, my husband, my father, and myself will start with the electric, then progress to the pump and motor. My father is handy and will be able to help get it working if it's possible. If not, we may go purchase a new/used one. Pray to the pool gods that this works lol. I need a pool to jump in after hours of yardwork in the summer.

Amen to that! Once you're involved with the rework, and with a little extra reading, you'll know what everything is.

Amen to that! Once you're involved with the rework, and with a little extra reading, you'll know what everything is.

No luck EddieMc. The pump motor was shot, we went to buy one but the store wanted $550 :mad:. We also noticed a leak which seams to be right around the rope anchors. We shall move on to fixing that and getting the water level up. I already hate this pool lol.

That's a shame. Might be why they abandoned it in the first place. In the scheme of owning a pool, buying your own pump and installing it is pretty low on both the price and difficulty scale, honestly.

The previous owner abandonded the house because the mortgage was astronomical considering it's a 1300sq ft rancher. I live in MD where home prices tend to be high to begin with. We got it for half of what the previous owner did. According to the neighbor, she had it retiled and replastered in 2012 then winterized and walked away a few months later.

I'm okay with purchasing a new pump (I think the 1hp pump was too much for an 8,500 gallon pool anyway. The filter works and is in solid condition. It's the original from 1978 lol. We encountered a leak near the rope anchor. I see tiny bubbles coming up from that area and that is where the scum/algae line is. I'll fix that and fill it up. I want the leak fixed before we do anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Save some future money and get a variable speed pump.

What is the advantage of a variable speed pump?

Before you rush out to buy a new pump, explore fixing the one you have- especially if a variable speed (VS) pump is possible down the road. The last time mine stopped a motor repair place fixed it for less than $50.

Yours would be easy to take to them, the plumbing on both sides of the pump already have union connections that just unscrew. Disconnect the electric wire and take them the whole thing.

Before you rush out to buy a new pump, explore fixing the one you have- especially if a variable speed (VS) pump is possible down the road. The last time mine stopped a motor repair place fixed it for less than $50.

Yours would be easy to take to them, the plumbing on both sides of the pump already have union connections that just unscrew. Disconnect the electric wire and take them the whole thing.

My dad took it to a place and it's nothing but rust. I don't mind purchasing a new pump but they seem to be cheaper everywhere than the store I went to. I still don't know how to fix the leak near the rope anchor. I'm buying EZ Patch tomorrow and will try that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.