Where do I put my pool!? Yard picture attached

My suggestion is to consider how you will use your whole property (or at least the couple acres nearest your house in all directions) by creating a master plan. With smaller yards, essentially the pool planning/renderings are the master plan because they cover the whole space. But for you, I can't tell you where I think the best place is if you don't tell me all of the things you currently do or will want to do in the future with your property. I see you have littles. They will become bigs and their play space needs can grow substantially. If you think they will enjoy baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc., now is the time to also think about this in your master plan. I liken it to designing a house and deciding where to put the kitchen if you haven't decided what other rooms you will want or where they will be. Outdoor areas are rooms and should be connected to one another to provide a setting that flows. Sometimes rooms should not be open to one another. Having barriers that limit/obscure your view can encourage people to explore more on foot to see what is out there. Clearly trees are an important part of your lifestyle. As you get closer to the house/pool, shrubs and perennials will increase in importance and should also be a part of your master plan. The master plan part of your pool building process will play a big part in how you enjoy the rest of your days on your beautiful property. You only get once to place the pool.

Can you put your state in your Profile? I don't know where Sylvester is which is applicable to my next comment. In areas of the country where it is warmer, having the pool next to the house is a no-brainer in many cases. In areas where you only use the pool area for 3-6 months, sometimes folks like to have it in a separately fenced area. The main benefit of this is to have the less attractive closed pool out of the hustle and bustle area next to your house during the non-pool season. So your kids can roam unimpeded by the pool area all around the house perimeter. Also, dogs will not be tempted to go in the pool of their own free will if it's separately fenced. Of course dogs can be trained - but I do see comments about folks with dog loving pools and they have trouble keeping them dry. Our pool is separated and I am not tempted to pop back into the house to do small things when I'm by the pool. Having it closer can make it easy (too easy?) to interrupt your relaxation. Many will not share by "destination pool" bias. Pools by the house look great, and in fact are great. But the above is just to present the other side of the story as well.

Below is a link to an overview of our pool and other yard improvements, if it provides you with anything you don't want to do all the better! But it gives you an idea of things to consider. The bottom of the yard (it all slopes down) is our play field. Although the front and close-up back section onto the court also can be used to play catch as well. Both our boys played baseball and the number of hours playing catch, and other sports/activities back there, were countless. Basketball is something that carries over into adulthood as far as a worthwhile backyard addition as well. You will enjoy seeing that time when your kids become better than you at sports (in my case it happened earlier than I expected).

Google Earth view Baltimore Pool Build

In my view it is no problem to have concrete over lines going from the house towards the septic tank (a cleanout or two along that section wouldn't hurt though). That's the same as the concrete in your basement over the same line. Though if they do need maintenance for some odd reason, don't come looking me up! Ours go under lots of pavers, a long concrete walkway/steps and a corner of the pool deck. I don't have any heartburn about it and I'm a pretty future/maintenance oriented person. But once you get near the tank, and of course after the tank are off limits. And don't put any trees like weeping willows within 50' (100' is better) from your septic tank or lines.

Enjoy the process and try not to get overwhelmed.

Thank you so much for all of this awesome info!
We are in South West Ga. So we get lots of use out of the pool. I didn't want to put the pool right up to the house bc my neighbors have there's right outside their back door and that seems a little too close.
We must have yard space... just like you suggested! My boys are always outside playing.

Based on all the great feedback we are going to have a local septic service come out and give us guidance on what's a good idea and not so ghos idea ?.

The winter months we don't great much day light... which is what I'm dealing with now but in the summer there's almost no shade to be found. Thank you again!

And with your summer sun comment, please consider your shade structure($) in your plans. These could be with a variety of umbrellas but having a more substantial/permanent feel, if that of interest to you, should be in the master plan. And of course the master plan can take years (or decades in our case) to complete so it shouldn’t feel like a burden, but like creating a list, so you don’t have to keep remembering what you already decided you liked for the area.

So lets start with your over all design. You said something about a pool house-where was it going to go?
Do you want a basketball court? Halfcourt?
How about a kid's club house kind of thing? play structure?

Talk it over and see what you see long term for the boys. That will impact where you put the pool now as it will be the base of everything.

Kim:kim:

Also take a look at Shade Sales. We wish we had integrated 3 or 4 of them into our design. We are planning on adding them this season. We get full sun on the pool most of the day.

Also take a look at Shade Sales. We wish we had integrated 3 or 4 of them into our design. We are planning on adding them this season. We get full sun on the pool most of the day.

Yeah, shade sails are cool looking. More permanent than umbrellas and cheaper than structures. Just need STURDY mounts.

My 2 cents. If I were to put a pool in, I'd check solar cover sizes and make it a standard rectangle. I have a kidney shape, and it's an odd shape for just about anything (covers, reels, water volley ball). A rectangle it's more practical and economical in every way. But I'm never moving, so I love mine!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.