Where did my Cya go!!!

Jul 24, 2012
l have had to add cya twice in a month.Added 4 pounds a week ago and had about a 40 reading on the tube.This morning it showed no chlorine or cya.Checked stenner and it is delivering properly.Against my better judgement I took a water sample to the PS where I buy my Cya and they checked the cya and it was zero.They said I probably have TDS.They tested for it and it was 2100. They said I should drain about 6 to 8 inches of water and refill.Only had an inch of rain since I added cya.Does this sound like a good plan?

TDS is meaningless. I have a very high TDS in our pool, it has salt in it!

Your CYA will not disappear unless you drain out a large volume of water. There can be some minor degradation each month but not 40 ppm. Or there is test error.

Reactions: DThompson55
I have never had this problem before, this is why I had the PS check it.We both checked zero.My test chemicals are all new so I can rule that out.I thought maybe the cya was outdated but the PS said that should not be the case they turn it over quickly.

If anything............it could possibly be a freak ammonia problem. There is a protocol in Pool School to check for that.

Add sufficient liquid chlorine to your pool to get to FC 10ppm. Circulate for 30 minutes. Check your FC, if 5 or below, add LC to get to FC 10 ppm, circulate 30 minutes, test for FC, etc. Once your FC is above 5 ppm at your test after 30 minutes of circulation, then the ammonia is gone.

You can also check for ammonia with an aquarium test kit. Any ammonia at all likely indicates your CYA was consumed by bacteria. Ammonia is a byproduct. The solution is to keep adding chlorine until all of the ammonia is neutralized. For your sized pool that would typically be 25 gallons of liquid bleach, give or take. Others have gone through this issue it is uncommon, but happens.

Here we go again!Cya was @ 30 Tuesday morning,just checked it and it is zero! I slammed the pool and it took 5 days to get to the goal.Everything seemed good for a few days and then just like that the Cya disappears and bye bye FC.This morning my FC was 4,TA 110,PH 7.2.Seems my only choice is to drain some per the PS and try the TDS route.

Yes I did.I then added Cy and began the slam the next morning.Took 5 days and around 8 gallons of 12.5% .Water sparkling, no overnight FC drop and no cc.Here we are 5 days later and back to zero Cya just like that.I checked my Cya several times and it was around 30 every time.No backwashes, swept and brushed.At my wits end.

I don't know if anyone actually knows where the CYA eating bacteria comes from. So it is possible you are being reinfected. Did you say this most recent time you checked for ammonia and there was none? How are you testing for ammonia?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I checked for ammonia per wireforms post and didn’t show an issue so dosed cya and slammed.I’m going to try to find an aquarium test to see what it shows.I have been BBB for years and use a T-100 test kit.A good ole slam has always cured everything but this is trying my limits.

I went to pets mart and got an API ammonia test kit this morning and ran the test twice showing NO ammonia.I’m gonna guess my CYA was consumed during the 5 day slam.As stated,Tuesday morning I showed about 30 Cya.Last evening it tested 0 as did FC.Yesterday morning FC was 4.Last night I put several lbs. of cya in the sock and got to squeezing and dumped a gallon of LC.Just checked Cya and showed about 25.Gonna let this play out one more time before I call the cement truck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.