When to test after initial fill

alski4

Apr 17, 2010
Plant City , Fl
I finished filling the pool and spa on Saturday. I couldn't resist the urge to break out my TF-100 and do a test on the fill water. The pb is coming tomorrow to do the initial chemical startup. My question is how long should I wait to retest after he puts in the chemicals? Here are my test results below** The TA seems way off base so I don't really trust that.

FC 1.5
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 340
CH 140
CYA 0

Don't get too antsy and change anything. To protect your warranty do what the PB tells you to do for the period required. Once that period is up you can adjust your levels correctly.

Did you wipe the tip of the R-0009 with a wet cloth or towel after each drop?

Bama Rambler said:
Don't get too antsy and change anything. To protect your warranty do what the PB tells you to do for the period required. Once that period is up you can adjust your levels correctly.

Did you wipe the tip of the R-0009 with a wet cloth or towel after each drop?
I don't think I did :oops: . Why would that affect any thing?(just curious)

Miranda said:
Personally, I'd rather add my own chemicals, but if the builder is paying for them tha'ts good. Ask him for a detailed list of what chemicals (and how much) he added to the pool. That information may be helpful later and you should keep a log anyway.
That was my thought too. The way I look at it is that I paid for it anyway :lol: . I already started a log with the fill.

Ok , Im on my own with the chemicals now!! Here are my test results.

FC - 0
CC - 0
TC - 0
PH - 8.2
TA - 70
CH - 190
CYA - 60

Per the Pool Calculator I need to add the following :
bleach - 75oz
muriatic acid - 22oz
calcium chloride - 85oz
stabilizer - 17oz

Here are my questions. Is there a specfic order that is perfered. How long should I wait in between adding chemicals?

PH first, always. Wait about 30 minutes for the acid to circulate and then add your bleach. Keep the pump running for a few hours to make sure it circulates well.

I don't think you should adjust the CH for at least 30 days or more. It may change on its own as the finish cures.

CYA of 60 is fine for now, I'd hold off on adding more at this time. you can always bump it later if you like...it's at the low end of the recommended range but certainly ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.