Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi folks,

I have a solid cover on for the winter. My pool builder told me to remove the pump when it freezes. However I have talked to other people who leave theirs on all throughout the winter no matter what. What is best practice?

In my neck of the woods right now, the highs are in the low to mid 40's but the lows are 27 tonight, 32 and 35 next couple nights....then in the twenties again the next few nights. Chance of a frozen mix on Sunday.

What do you guys normally do?

I remove my pumps from the cover before any significant snowstorm. When I have left the pumps on the cover to get buried the pump would eventually start causing GFCI trips from internal corrosion.

If the pump is on the cover during a hard freeze it can be impossible to remove before the snowstorm.

If we get a cycle of snow then thaw the pumps may go on the cover to drain water then be removed again.

I remove my pumps from the cover before any significant snowstorm. When I have left the pumps on the cover to get buried the pump would eventually start causing GFCI trips from internal corrosion.

If the pump is on the cover during a hard freeze it can be impossible to remove before the snowstorm.

If we get a cycle of snow then thaw the pumps may go on the cover to drain water then be removed again.
Thank you.....so do you leave it on during freezing temps when there is no precipitation?

And what about during a sleet/rain storm below 32 degrees? Would you let that water build up until temps go back over 32?

Thank you.....so do you leave it on during freezing temps when there is no precipitation?

And what about during a sleet/rain storm below 32 degrees? Would you let that water build up until temps go back over 32?

Depends what the long range forecast is. If it is going to warm up after the freeze event then I leave the pumps out. Air temps below 32F alone will not damage the pump.

Sleet/rain where it is going to warm up into the 40's in coming days I just leave the pumps out.

If it looks like we are getting into a period of below 32F temps and snow then the pumps come in. You don't want the pumps locked into ice and then getting buried in snow.

Once the pumps come in the pumps will go back out if there is a thaw and there is water on the cover.

You have to become a weather forecaster.

Reactions: kaseydog
I don’t know best practice but for me I have a limit to how much I can worry about myriad maintenance items throughout the Winter. Removing and replacing pool cover pumps to suit the weather hasn’t made the list. Been through 3 Winters and no ill effects on the pumps (little giant blue pumps, I forget model # but it’s the smaller one with 1’ outlet). I have two of them for pool / spa. Weather here does freeze but not for days at a time. Shouldn’t make any difference but I mention it.

Reactions: kaseydog
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.