When to run the pump

Jul 27, 2014
Mechanicsville,Va
Moved by Mod from HERE

I’ve been running my pump for 24 hours a day every summer since I opened my pool. I was wondering if turning it off in the evening would be ok. Hopefully this would help my electric bill. I’m just worried about my water getting cloudy or having problems with algae.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your equipment list is a little sparse. If you have a variable speed pump, you can save a lot of electricity running it slower but longer. For example my Pentair pump draws 2530w at full speed (3450rpm) but only 181 watts at 1500rpm. Running slower, I think, will allow the filter to work better. Slower and longer means the water is still less time, and the skimmer(s) have more time to skim debris from the surface. The slower speed is also quieter. According to Pentair, running the pump longer at a slower speed extends the life of the pump motor as well.

Reactions: Hairdoer
Moved by Mod from HERE

I’ve been running my pump for 24 hours a day every summer since I opened my pool. I was wondering if turning it off in the evening would be ok. Hopefully this would help my electric bill. I’m just worried about my water getting cloudy or having problems with algae.
Chemistry prevents algae and cloudy water, not pump run time. You could likely get away with only running for a couple hours to sufficiently mix the chlorine.

I run mine for 3 hours a day (split over two periods) but primarily for skimming/debris removal. I could probably get away with 2 hours a day, but not that brave as of yet. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.