When to replace pool screen cage or enclosure?

boots

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
Jacksonville/FL
My pool cage is 32 years old and showing lots of signs of wear. For example, missing tie down wire on side, rusted screws, missing screw covers, leaking around super gutter, etc. If I spend money on all these repairs, wouldn't it just be more cost effective to remove and replace with a better constructed one? Also, I live in Florida so hurricane season each year. Thoughts anyone?

If a total "repair job" is close in price to an entirely new birdcage, I'd go new. But unless you know the prices of each, how can you tell?
A repair job saves the landfill from unnecessary waste.
Are newer birdcages built that much differently than the older one?
Is the old one unattractive, even if repaired and upgraded, so that you'd prefer a newer one?

Just some thoughts to ponder....

Maddie :flower:

Depending on size, a new cage could easily be $15k+. Also, with so many people getting pools right now, I would expect that screen companies are busy too so probably not a good time to look for a deal. Another thought I had is if the screen is that old, what was the code for footers back then? Would you need a new footer poured? If so, that adds thousands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.