When to open??

In Ohio, I open late May. I only do that because of pollen and stuff the trees drop. I'm not going to fight it. KY may be earlier.

You can check temps! Here is what I use, <10 bucks:
https://www.amazon.com/GDEALER-Ther...9218190&sprefix=steak+tem,aps,209&sr=8-2&th=1 Cheap and easy.

When you get to about 60 degrees, and you are out of the freeze time (certainly now in KY), hook up your plumbing and start the flow of water. Clean and start Chlorine flowing to maintain FC. Since it is cold the chlorine demand will be low. Check every week or so and add LC as necessary (over a return). When you are past pollen/tree dropping, unleash the cover.

Not clear if you are using SWCG, LC or pucks. If you can update your signature, that may help us help you!

This may help. The sooner the better to avoid algae.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I purely go off water temps. When water is close to 60s, I open. I usually pull the cover off in April (water temp 40s-50s) and turn on the pool a few weeks later. We don't swim until memorial day though usually it just isn't warm enough air temp-wise.

Add the high and low temps for the last 10 days as one big number (1017 for example) and divide it by 20. The water will be darn close to that #. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lissawku10
Just checked mine yesterday w/ my handy meat thermometer 🌡 & it’s a dab above 60 degrees so i am about to proceed w/ “soft opening” as @PoolStored described. I also took some samples & fc is 15ppm so I’ve got plenty of time to go at my own pace. My 1st step is raising the water level this week, this weekend I will hook up the plumbing then get her circulating & may throw the robot under the cover. The cover will stay on for a while as this pollen is thick!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so i am about to proceed w/ “soft opening” as @PoolStored described.
+3 to soft opening. If this weekend is nice and you have the time, you could be 0 Fer 2 next weekend and the weekend after that is too late with a slightly warmer than expected forecast.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain getting it running early. FC demand while covered will be very little and won't need much attention.

Keep in mind, they don't know what the weather will be doing tomorrow muchless weeks from now. A few warm windy days or just warmer ones would raise your water temp faster than the Accuwaether Futurecast (registered trademark) suggests.

Soft open in half a weekend afternoon and you can run under the cover until you are good and ready. (y)

Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tip.
It's a rough guess and the real world might make a difference. Wind chill/warm for example. But glad it worked for ya :)

Also fun to guess from many states away and still be close. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JWLuke
I live in Upstate New York and by upstate I mean UPSTATE near Lake Ontario. I will be opening my pool next week. I would rather look at cold water than a green safety cover. I grab a few gallons of bleach, clean it up, get the temp to about 65, turn on the SWG and crank the heat to 84. Swimming regularly by 05/05 no coincidence!!!!!

Your opening date depends on a lot of personal variables. Short season where I am, that's my main reason to open when I do. I don't mind the work

And think about supply chain issues if you need to replace any equipment. It may say available today, but once the spring rush start, who knows.

Reactions: Newdude
I'm in south western part of PA and I've been open since March 30....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.