When to add salt?

Pbuckler81

Apr 20, 2020
Springfield, MO
This may need to be in the SWG forum but since it’s an Intex XTR with the saltwater system I thought here would fit too. We have finally erected the pool and are awaiting the building inspectors approval before filling. Once we start adding water, when should we start adding the salt? Should the pool be completely full?

This may need to be in the SWG forum but since it’s an Intex XTR with the saltwater system I thought here would fit too. We have finally erected the pool and are awaiting the building inspectors approval before filling. Once we start adding water, when should we start adding the salt? Should the pool be completely full?
You can add whenever you want, really.

Personally, I'd fill the pool, get the pump running, leak check the plumbing, and then start balancing. Add some chlorine bleach, get the CYA dangling in a sock to dissolve, adjust pH and TA if needed. Then kids can get in. Then add salt. Kids can have fun stirring it up and swimming through it like a snow globe. You'll want to give it at least 24 hours to mix before you turn on the generator, so you will have to chlorinate manually for that time.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I got mine up and going like what was posted just above, except it was too cold for anybody to get in. My 7 year old threw the salt in (well, up in the air over the pool so it spread out) while I brushed and swirled water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.