When the gurus say raise pH by “aeration” can you please give a few examples?

Toad_stools

Bronze Supporter
Jun 17, 2020
Southern Ontario Canada.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Dumb question (again) but a few responses on the forum say to “aerate” to raise pH. What are some ways to aerate my water? I’m guessing swimming is a good one but what else? Thanks.

If you have water features or a spillover running them longer helps. Also you can do things like Jim shows above. I always found that running the spillover all day and adding bubbles to the spa moved pH up in very short order.

Chris

Reactions: Toad_stools
Toad,

Just to be clear.. Most people do not need to increase pH as it normally does this all on its own.. Aeration is normally used when trying to reduce TA.. When you add acid to reduce TA it also reduces the pH.. To keep the pH up, while continuing to reduce the TA, we recommend that you use aeration.

If your pH is low and you are not in the process of reducing TA, then I suspect that you are using chlorine tablets. Pucks or tablets have acid in them and this will drive your pH lower.. Ph does not normally decrease below 7.0 unless something is causing it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Toad,

Just to be clear.. Most people do not need to increase pH as it normally does this all on its own.. Aeration is normally used when trying to reduce TA.. When you add acid to reduce TA it also reduces the pH.. To keep the pH up, while continuing to reduce the TA, we recommend that you use aeration.

If your pH is low and you are not in the process of reducing TA, then I suspect that you are using chlorine tablets. Pucks or tablets have acid in them and this will drive your pH lower.. Ph does not normally decrease below 7.0 unless something is causing it..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. I’m actually not having a low pH issue right now. But was a couple weeks ago but someone helped diagnose that was likely due to a lot of CYA I had to add (CYA was at about 10). Things are good right now all around. I have a SWG and have pretty stable FC at about 8. Maybe slightly high but had my output up a bit too much. I’m slowly dialing things in as I learn stuff here. It’s taken quite a while to add the appropriate level of CYA. Over the last two weeks have added about 5 pounds and now reading around 60 ppm.
The TA pH relationship is still one I am learning about and is the trickiest IMO so I really appreciate the info you provided above. Thank you.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I assume you were asking the question from a informational perspective and not that you going to aerate, right? Most people with SWGs find their pH is rises on its own, and have to add acid to compensate.
That’s correct. Was more out of curiosity. My pH is 7.5 today. 🥳

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.