When it rains, it pours (DE)...

denicio

Bronze Supporter
Jun 19, 2020
Long Island, NY
After 8 summers with little to no problems, this year's pool season is turning into quite a challenge. Thanks to SLAM, my water chemistry is perfect and thanks to feedback here, I have a new pressure gauge on my clean DE filter. After I removed the obstructions from my skimmer baskets, cleaned the filter again, replaced the gauge, and turned on the system, it was working perfectly. Then I started to see DE return to my pool again. When I went to inspect everything I noticed some water trickling out of the backwash pipe...not much, but a slight stream. I have also noticed water pooling around the backwash valve handle and it becoming tougher to turn. It looks like there are a few things I could potentially replace here based on reading other posts, but not sure which items apply to my specific backwash valve. I posted a picture...would it be O rings, spider gasket, diverter? I feel like I'm replacing so many things, not sure which are the right things and which I'm just tossing money at. IMG_0084.jpeg

Do you happen to see a model or part number on that Multiport Valve (MPV)?

I don't - everything is worn. Based on my research online, it looks like it is a Praher SM2-HPXRS50 - 2'. I did take it apart and the spider valve looks intact. I also lubed up the O ring on it and it seems like I am seeing less DE in the pool (doesn't seem like it is adding more back in after attaching a sock to the return) and I am water is no longer dripping out of the backwash pipe, although there is some standing water in there...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.