When is it time to resurface your plaster?

syntax53

Silver Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

I have about 9 spots in my pool where the gunite is visible. Pictures of some of them attached. They are on the smaller side, no bigger than a fist at the largest one. I did some research on how much it would be for replaster and everything I read was saying $5-10k. I got two estimates so far and for my 19x40 ~28k gallon pool they are $12-17k!

So my questions are a) is this a normal price or is this a COVID price? and B) how soon should I be worrying about this based on the pictures?

Lastly, anyone have any luck with patching? Which products are recommended if so? I heard they can be effective, just messy.

Attachments

• 080326DA-E8CD-469B-AA1F-6C26CD2C6D73.jpeg
    080326DA-E8CD-469B-AA1F-6C26CD2C6D73.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4D05CCFF-5BDF-42A0-8188-2FB55C255B67.jpeg
    4D05CCFF-5BDF-42A0-8188-2FB55C255B67.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 17
  • F626FB4E-D3FB-467D-88AA-E170200A16AF.jpeg
    F626FB4E-D3FB-467D-88AA-E170200A16AF.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 8F47FDAF-FEE5-4885-A7AE-98084DE278C8.jpeg
    8F47FDAF-FEE5-4885-A7AE-98084DE278C8.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 15
  • FB297ED5-A839-48D4-A020-E9AC5D4B64B3.jpeg
    FB297ED5-A839-48D4-A020-E9AC5D4B64B3.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 17
Was that price for a full chipout of your old plaster or to put a second layer of plaster on top of the first?

What finish did that price assume?

If the pool is not leaking water and there are no signs of rebar rusting then there is no urgency to replaster.

To effectively patch those areas you need to drain the pool. The colors will not match and the patches will be visible.

Hello all,

I have about 9 spots in my pool where the gunite is visible. Pictures of some of them attached. They are on the smaller side, no bigger than a fist at the largest one. I did some research on how much it would be for replaster and everything I read was saying $5-10k. I got two estimates so far and for my 19x40 ~28k gallon pool they are $12-17k!

So my questions are a) is this a normal price or is this a COVID price? and B) how soon should I be worrying about this based on the pictures?

Lastly, anyone have any luck with patching? Which products are recommended if so? I heard they can be effective, just messy.
I’ve got some similar spots on mine. $17k sounds like covid pricing and I got a quote for $10k before covid so somewhere between there is probably a reasonable covid price. I’m planning on leaving mine another year at least. They don’t seem to be leaking.

The pool builder that renovated my pool back in '14 (partly because of the same problem you're having) told me that essentially the decision to replaster, barring some issues that result in leakage, is more a subjective one, i.e. cosmetic as opposed to any urgent need. I always worried about the gunite not being waterproof over the long run if not covered by plaster, and so for several years before making the decision to drain and replaster I used to dive down with handfuls of this underwater plaster mix and just affix it to exposed gunite areas. Actually worked pretty well at least from the standpoint of seeing spots of white rather than brown. The stuff adhered quite well but still looked like a very amateur patch job. The pool never seemed to lose water the entire time I had exposed gunite areas but, since there were other issues with the tiles, coping, etc. I decided to have the whole pool redone. Best of luck to you with it!

Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't think it leaks. I can go weeks without adding water and any time the water is low it's explainable. Chemically it's pretty normal too. The only odd thing is I tend to use a lot of Calcium throughout the season.

@anthonypool89 what product did you use for the underwater patch?

Here are the details of the one quote I received.

White Plaster--

-Drain pool, remove hydrostatic plugs
-Waterline tile prep – remove approx. 6” of plaster below tile so new plaster can be tapered up
-Prep pool for new finish, including acid/power wash & bond coat
-Resurface pool with White Marbelite Plaster Finish
-Install 1 new VGA-compliant drain cover
$10,190

Optional Plaster Upgrades:
-Add black dye for a gray finish – subject to color variations
-Provides a deeper blue look to the water and solar heating effect
Add $2,100

-Add a 30% mix of Crushed Quartz in Blue, Cayman Green or a 50/50 mix of two
-Adds sparkle, enhances water color, helps hide debris
Add $3,640

DiamondBrite--
(Ivory, Classic, Super Blue, Blue, Aqua Quartz, Aqua Blue, Cool Blue, Oyster Quartz, Marlin Blue, or Blue Quartz)

-Waterline tile prep – remove approx. 6” of plaster below tile so new plaster can be tapered up
-Resurface pool with DiamondBrite Plaster Finish
-See Exposed Aggregate Finish | SGM, Inc. for color options
$16,980

aquaBRIGHT--
-Tape-off waterline tile & coping
-Resurface pool with aquaBRIGHT Polythermal Finish in the color of your choice
$17,320

All finishes listed above, except for aquaBRIGHT, require the homeowner to brush twice daily for two weeks after install.
aquaBRIGHT finish DOES NOT require brushing.

Some of the benefits of aquaBRIGHT™:

Color Uniformity
Compared to colored masonry finishes, AquaBRIGHT™ has a more uniform color across the entire swimming pool and as the pool ages the aquaBRIGHT finish will not "mottle" or fade in larger blotchy clouds.

Why Pay For Trucked Water?
If left alone, most curing masonry finishes will dry out and crack if water is not immediately placed in the pool. Because of this, it is a common practice to truck in water to protect the new finish. Once installed, the AquaBRIGHT finish is cured. You can fill that day, the next day or the following week; thus eliminating the need to pay for water.

What's A Hot Start?
Are you looking at a colored finish? Colored Masonry finishes typically require a two week start up process called a "Low alkalinity burn" or a "Hot Start". This is where you or your pool company will pour muriatic acid into your pool to burn the leaching calcium off the curing masonry finish. Being a hard durable plastic surface, aquaBRIGHT does not require any caustic or complicated start up process. We call our start up process, "Balance and Swim".

Pick A Color, Any Color.
Pigments are like commodities, there can be great variations in cost, depending on the color you choose. Sometimes the difference can be so great it becomes the sole determining factor in choosing the color scheme for your pool. All standard aquaBRIGHT finishes are one awesome low price, so choose away and pick what you like and not what you can afford.

Test, Add Chemicals And Re-test.
When did owning a pool mean that you need a degree in chemistry? Old timers used to treat their pools with two things: chlorine and muriatic acid. Unlike masonry finishes, the non-porous, smooth and PH neutral aquaBRIGHT finish won't counter balance with your swimming pool's water chemistry. We're not saying with aquaBRIGHT you'll only need chlorine and acid, but due to the nature of plastic, you'll spend much less time balancing your water chemistry and more time enjoying your pool with your family.

Pre-mix To Protect
Many chemicals need to be pre-mixed with water before adding the product to the pool. Usually this is to protect the finish of the pool to prevent problems like bleaching and etching. Our plastics are chemical resistant and unlike masonry finishes, aquaBRIGHT can be acid washed with very little impact to the surface and the color.

Do it after summer is long over. It's not just covid 19 prices, its shortages in supply, and inflation. A pallet of bond coat used to cost us $800 last year. Now it cost $3000 a pallet.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't think it leaks. I can go weeks without adding water and any time the water is low it's explainable. Chemically it's pretty normal too. The only odd thing is I tend to use a lot of Calcium throughout the season.

@anthonypool89 what product did you use for the underwater patch?

Here are the details of the one quote I received.

White Plaster--

-Resurface pool with White Marbelite Plaster Finish
$10,190

Optional Plaster Upgrades:
-Add black dye for a gray finish – subject to color variations
-Provides a deeper blue look to the water and solar heating effect
Add $2,100

-Add a 30% mix of Crushed Quartz in Blue, Cayman Green or a 50/50 mix of two
-Adds sparkle, enhances water color, helps hide debris
Add $3,640

DiamondBrite--
(Ivory, Classic, Super Blue, Blue, Aqua Quartz, Aqua Blue, Cool Blue, Oyster Quartz, Marlin Blue, or Blue Quartz)

-Resurface pool with DiamondBrite Plaster Finish
-See Exposed Aggregate Finish | SGM, Inc. for color options
$16,980

aquaBRIGHT--
-Tape-off waterline tile & coping
-Resurface pool with aquaBRIGHT Polythermal Finish in the color of your choice
$17,320

All finishes listed above, except for aquaBRIGHT, require the homeowner to brush twice daily for two weeks after install.
aquaBRIGHT finish DOES NOT require brushing.

Some of the benefits of aquaBRIGHT™:

Color Uniformity
Compared to colored masonry finishes, AquaBRIGHT™ has a more uniform color across the entire swimming pool and as the pool ages the aquaBRIGHT finish will not "mottle" or fade in larger blotchy clouds.

Why Pay For Trucked Water?
If left alone, most curing masonry finishes will dry out and crack if water is not immediately placed in the pool. Because of this, it is a common practice to truck in water to protect the new finish. Once installed, the AquaBRIGHT finish is cured. You can fill that day, the next day or the following week; thus eliminating the need to pay for water.

What's A Hot Start?
Are you looking at a colored finish? Colored Masonry finishes typically require a two week start up process called a "Low alkalinity burn" or a "Hot Start". This is where you or your pool company will pour muriatic acid into your pool to burn the leaching calcium off the curing masonry finish. Being a hard durable plastic surface, aquaBRIGHT does not require any caustic or complicated start up process. We call our start up process, "Balance and Swim".

Pick A Color, Any Color.
Pigments are like commodities, there can be great variations in cost, depending on the color you choose. Sometimes the difference can be so great it becomes the sole determining factor in choosing the color scheme for your pool. All standard aquaBRIGHT finishes are one awesome low price, so choose away and pick what you like and not what you can afford.

Test, Add Chemicals And Re-test.
When did owning a pool mean that you need a degree in chemistry? Old timers used to treat their pools with two things: chlorine and muriatic acid. Unlike masonry finishes, the non-porous, smooth and PH neutral aquaBRIGHT finish won't counter balance with your swimming pool's water chemistry. We're not saying with aquaBRIGHT you'll only need chlorine and acid, but due to the nature of plastic, you'll spend much less time balancing your water chemistry and more time enjoying your pool with your family.

Pre-mix To Protect
Many chemicals need to be pre-mixed with water before adding the product to the pool. Usually this is to protect the finish of the pool to prevent problems like bleaching and etching. Our plastics are chemical resistant and unlike masonry finishes, aquaBRIGHT can be acid washed with very little impact to the surface and the color.
Also looks like those quote don’t include chipping out the old plaster? Only says shipping out the 6” below the tile line.

what product did you use for the underwater patch?
I used this. Hardest part was swimming down to the bottom (most of my bare spots were in the deepest part) while holding a lump of the stuff and hoping it doesn't all fall apart by the time I got all the way down! I'd never be able to do it anymore due to ear / pressure-related issues. It took many trips back and forth. I did that on and off for a few years. I think I still have the partially used container. Would gladly sell it to whomever wants it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.