When do I start worrying about high salt levels while using liquid chlorine?

I keep sacrificial anodes on my ladder and one in the skimmer and one by the equipment and have to replace them every few years from being eaten up. There is no doubting that salt eats metal, you have to give it something to eat other than your equipment.

Are you using an in-line sacrificial anode, or is there another option? Just a chunk of zinc in the skimmer basket?

- - - Updated - - -

Salt up to 5000 is just fine (unless you have a SWG with an upper salt limit). Above that the corrosion risk starts to go up.

Thanks Jason.

We started with passive anodes. Two on the ladder and a 2" x 4" one in the skimmer. Last year I think it was we added the in line. Having a steel walled pool and seeing the ones on the ladder and skimmer being eaten up spooked me. Also my ladder hinges (we have an auto cover so ladder must fold up) and stainless steel ladder all have rusted.

22,500 gallons of water takes 68oz of 8.25% bleach everyday to raise FC by 2. (Thats about what the average person uses)
So every day, 68oz of bleach adds 3.3 ppm of salt.

Open all year long? = 1204 ppm salt a year.
Open 9 months a year? = 903 ppm salt a year.
Open 6 months a year? = 600 ppm salt a year.
Open 4 months a year? = 396 ppm salt a year.

This is without shocking and dilution from rain water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.