What's your current pool temp?

I am looking for some opinions on why my water temp. is so low. I live in central Florida on the east coast, so it is always warm here. We built our pool May 2007 and our water temp. has never been above 83 degrees. The pool is 9200 gallons and we do have an enclosure but it has at least 6 or 7 hours of sun a day. When we built, I never imagined that we would have a problem with water temp., and I only like to swim when it is really warm. We have heard other opinions that it could be the enclosure or it could be the water table. Didn't know if anyone would like to weigh in.

We also tried a solar blanket but it only raised the temp. by 3 degrees and it is very hard for me to take on and off.

Hopefully I put this in the right subject. I wasn't too sure where to post this.
Thanks.

89 - 90 (hence the algae, I guess)...
I keep the heat pump on 86, so when the timer for the pump kicks on in the middle of the night, it will keep the temp at 86 until the morning sun can warm it up again. My fam likes it warm, that's for sure! 8)

Mine is at 92, way to warm for me. The air temps is about the same. I have a 1/16hp pool pump I bought off of ebay arriving today I am going to make a fountain out of that I can run 24/7. My pocket book doesnt like running the 1.5Hp pump over about 12hrs a day. Hopefully the fountain will lower the temp a good bit, its to the point it is unpleasant to get in and we have only had the pool for about a month.

Our pool hit 98* yesterday... :shock: I like warm water, but that was just TOO warm when the air temp. is 90 and I'm trying to cool off. :lol: I turned off the solar, added a gal. of chlorine as I had a small amount of CC and the water was a little cloudy.(Crystal clear again this morning). I left the solar cover off last night to and the water was 88* this morning. I think 88-90 is perfect for me. Although, having warm water(94) in the fall for swimming at night is nice... You just don't get cold in water like that.

Adam

I had my solar cover on a couple of days ago because there were a few wind storms and I wanted to cut down on the gunk in the pool. When I went to take it off, the top layer of water was 102 degrees. :shock: I turned on the pump, but even after circulating, the water was 96 degrees. Way too warm!

Ours is 84 by the end of the day -- cools to 80 at night.

The strange thing is that it shot to that temperature with about 12 hours of sun after it was filled with 65 degree hose-water. It's been holding steady at these temps for the last 5 days. I haveb to assume the heat from the plaster curing is helping some... the solar/heat has not beem on (as directed).

It's killing us not being able to get in -- it feels so nice when I put a hand in!!! There's no chlorine in it until tomorrow (something abnout the chlorine screwing up the curing of the plaster).

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
launboy said:
Our pool hit 98* yesterday... :shock: I like warm water, but that was just TOO warm when the air temp. is 90 and I'm trying to cool off. :lol: I turned off the solar, added a gal. of chlorine as I had a small amount of CC and the water was a little cloudy.(Crystal clear again this morning). I left the solar cover off last night to and the water was 88* this morning. I think 88-90 is perfect for me. Although, having warm water(94) in the fall for swimming at night is nice... You just don't get cold in water like that.

Adam

Ditto....I like it about 88-90. The first September we had our pool we ran the heater thru September and swam every weekend. That first weekend in October it was 85 and we had a pool party. :mrgreen: We regretted it a few weeks later when the $386 gas bill came.... :shock:

I don't know our exact temperature, but it is hot! Our neighbors pool says 93. What are the methods for lowering the temp? I know you can drain some out and refill, but what else? I have a fountain. Should I run the pump during the day for the fountain or is night better? I wonder how much ice it would take to cool down a pool? What does everyone else do?

michiele said:
I don't know our exact temperature, but it is hot! Our neighbors pool says 93. What are the methods for lowering the temp? I know you can drain some out and refill, but what else? I have a fountain. Should I run the pump during the day for the fountain or is night better? I wonder how much ice it would take to cool down a pool? What does everyone else do?

Do you have solar heating by any chance? Here in the warmer parts of Australia some people run the solar heating pump at night to cool the pool water. The pump sends the pool water up onto the cool roof of your house cooling the water rather than heating it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.