What's your current pool temp?

In Arizona with your dry air I'd say you should get at least 15ºF if not 20ºF rise in temp. The dry air has faster evaporation which is what cools the pool off faster. A cover prevents that.

The cover needs to be clear to let the sun shine through to heat the pool, but unfortunately that will mean it won't prevent chlorine from getting used up by the sun. Of course, it won't be any worse than it is now without the cover in terms of chlorine loss and could be somewhat less.

acroy said:
72F and rising slowly - dry and cooler than expected recently.
I've been in the pool since Feb 20. My limit is 58F ;) gotta be warm and want it when the pool is THAT cold!!

It was 76F yesterday - haven't checked today yet. I'll be in it soon - very soon ! :party:

My limit is 80F - been in FL too long - my blood has thinned to the point where I get "chilled" when the air temp drops into the 60's! :blah: ... and I used to swim in Lake Michigan as a kid and the water temp doesn't get out of the 60's!

All I can say is that you all with anything above 70 just plain old SUCK! Mine is still 58 f'n degrees. We are about 15 degrees cooler air temp than normal, and it's already cooler than my liking here! Oh if the housing market hadn't took such a nose-dive, we'd be OUTTA HERE!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
74 but im in CT. Have been open for 4 weeks now and have been using the hot tub and a few days have had the pool up to 77-80 degrees. Really too early to open, but too late for that now. Heat my pool with an outdoor wood boiler. Same for my house. Just uses a lot of wood when its this cold out.

interesting affect for me- daytime temps low 70s, overnight 50s for the past week, but pool temp has RISEN from 68 to 72 in that week! guess the pool itself is acting like a pretty good solar collector at the moment; overcast/rainy forecast for the weekend, so don't think this rise will continue...

I suspect your humidity level is high with no wind. Without a pool cover, the gain in heat from sunlight during the day is usually mostly wiped out by the cooling from evaporation. However, if there is little or no wind and the humidity is high, then evaporation is low and the sun's heating can outweight the evaporative cooling effect. Also, at lower water temperatures, there is slower evaporation while the heating from the sun remains the same.

Just be thankful you're getting a "free" 10+ degree rise from sunlight alone even in an uncovered pool. If your air and pool temps were both higher or if humidity was low or there was wind, you'd be less likely to see that sort of net gain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.