What's the fix for this?

Theeag1es1

Mar 10, 2024
Clearwater FL
My Hayward Aqua Rite is cycling on and off. My Diagnostic Display for Cell Voltage seems to be an issue. It will rise to about 19.6 and at that point the unit powers off. It drops to .9 then rises to 17 before the unit powers back on. It hits 19.6 and turns off. I found this YouTube video that shows what is happening. This is not me but someone else with the same problem.

Chlorine generator issue - YouTube
I'm having this EXACT problem. Does anyone know what the fix to this is? I've inspected and cleaned the salt cell, I've checked all connections, I inspected the panel and didn't see any signs of corrosion or browning. But one thing I did notice is that if I run the generator without the salt cell plugged into it, it wont do this. I let it run like that for only a couple of minutes before plugging the salt cell back in and almost instantly, started doing the same thing again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Tito

Move the switch to the OFF position. Push the diagnostic button 2x. What's the voltage reading on the display? Is the power led illuminated for as long as the AC power is on?
Or if you are confident working around electricity, get a voltmeter and measure the incoming AC supply between terminals 1 and 4 of TB1. Also, measure the DC voltage across the black and red terminals on the top right-hand corner of the bd.

Thank you for the response. When I turn it to "off" and press the diagnostics button twice, it takes a minute , but it eventually climbs up to 22.7. the LED light for power stays on. When turned to "auto" or super chlorinate", it stays on until it clicks at around 19 volts and the voltage drops to 0.6. it stays off until the voltage climbs to 17, then both the "power" and the "generating" lights come on until it clicks at 19 volts and repeats the cycle. I don't own a multimeter.