What's the deal with chlorine tabs?

Jun 7, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hello all - I have a general question about using chlorine tabs in my in-line chlorinator. Regardless of what my CYA level currently is, is it true that chlorine tablets in general contain Trichlor and that continued use will gradually increase CYA levels?

Thanks!

Yes, that is correct. I'd say rapidly vs gradually though. 4-6 hot summer weeks could have you way over the recommended cya level.
:goodpost:

To expand on that, according to poolmath, in a pool your size, one puck will raise FC by 5.3 and CYA by 3,2. If you figure most pools lose 2-3 ppm FC per day, then you can reason that you'll use half a puck per day, which will add 1.6 CYA per day. In round figures, 11 per week. If you start with fresh water now, by 4th of July you'll be at 100 CYA.

Thanks very much. So in other words, am I to understand that it is probably safest not to use them?
They serve a purpose, like when you leave town for a few days, or you've lost some CYA due to backwashing or splashout or rain overflow. Daily? No. You are correct that it's best not to rely on them. Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.