What's that hole for?

hollywoodfrodo

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
Lakewood, CA
So, I just noticed (or re-noticed) there's a hole in the back sidewall of the skimmer. It's relatively high, like at a height that would be considered the highest the water level should ever get to. This leads me to believe it's some type of safety drain to keep the pool from ever overflowing due to excessive rain. However, neither my spouse or I can recall a pipe there to drain water or figure out where it could possibly drain to.

Any ideas as to what that hole and where it might lead?

h,

That hole can be used as an overflow drain, or a fill line. In my case, that is where water is added to my pool when the valve is turned on...

The builders do not normally knock the hole out unless they connect it to something. The skimmer comes with the knock-out in place.. I have two skimmers and the one with the water fill has the hole and the other one does not.

Assuming it is a drain, then most likely it is connected into your deck drains.. It has to go somewhere...

Where do your deck drains go?

Thanks,

Jim R.

We do have deck drains all around the pool, of course. And that was my first inclination, that it could connect to those, but neither my spouse or I recall seeing any pipe connecting the skimmer into those drains. Of course, we could have missed something... I looked back at the plumbing picks and couldn't see anything either - it's gonna drive me crazy. I can't imagine it being anything other than that...

h,

Stick a garden hose in the hole and let er' rip..

If it is going into your deck drains, you will hear it for sure...

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

If water won't flow in you'll know it has been capped off somewhere.

So, I just noticed (or re-noticed) there's a hole in the back sidewall of the skimmer. It's relatively high, like at a height that would be considered the highest the water level should ever get to. This leads me to believe it's some type of safety drain to keep the pool from ever overflowing due to excessive rain. However, neither my spouse or I can recall a pipe there to drain water or figure out where it could possibly drain to.

Any ideas as to what that hole and where it might lead?
Stick a hose in it and see where the water goes. A lot of these go in to underground drainage and you may never se it exit. I" not crazy about drains because they take away your chems. Having a pool to full does not hurt anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.