What's everyone's favorite "must have" pool item or items??

Wadeod

Jul 23, 2017
Granger, In
Soon to be new owner and just curious what everyone loves about their pool? Is it a float, ledge lounger, stereo, floating ice chest, led bubbler, deck jet, tanning shelf, green egg/grill, auto cover, pool cleaning robot?? Just curious what everyone loves and would buy again?

What's everyone's favorite "must have" pool item or items??

Honestly for me at the time of the build, besides water the only must have was an autocover. Everything else fell into High, Medium and Low levels of want. Though my SWCG was clearly a High want.

Building a pool tomorrow, the SWCG, autocover and some source of heat would become must haves or the project would not move forward.

Reactions: chia9876
TF-100. Consider it an investment to making sure you can use all of the other things mentioned any time you want.

But aside of that, if I had an IG pool I would want a robot.

Honestly for me at the time of the build, besides water the only must have was an autocover. Everything else fell into High, Medium and Low levels of want. Though my SWCG was clearly a High want.

Building a pool tomorrow, the SWCG, autocover and some source of heat would become must haves or the project would not move forward.

All of this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The things that I did not think would be as great as they are:
1. Remote Controller Panel. The main panel is outside, but in a year, I have only used that the few times I have cleaned the filter. Otherwise, I can do everything from the panel on my porch just a few steps from my back door. This without the complications of wireless is priceless.
2. Solar Heat with automation - We love the set it can forget it of the automation. My pool builder tried to talk me out of the automation but I was not having it and I was right!!!
3. Waterfalls - they added some cost but are so nice. We don't run them all of the time but we run them in the evening, when swimming or hanging out on the porch. They are pretty & have anice sound.
4. Pebble Sheen - Love, love, love compared to the old plaster finishes
5. Simple Vacuum - I wanted a robot but really, it is not needed for me. I have a screen and putting the vacuum in once a week is enough for ours. No point in spending the money or complication of a robot for me.
6. Automation - I don't have everyone on automation but the solar, waterfalls & SWG are on automation. I am very very happy to have spent the extra to do this. In my case it was not that much since I self contracted to a degree. The builders wanted crazy markup for automation.
7. Travertine - it makes the deck and porch look so much richer and our deck and coping are all the same travertine. It looks really nice.

Ok that is enough.

We're in the process of spec-ing out our new pool (planned for spring '18) and have asked this question to several pool owners, here's a collection of their recommendations:

-SWCG is a must for ease of maintenance
-Don't skimp on the upgrades that would be much more expensive to do later on: Coping upgrades, tile upgrades, lighting, automation, integrated spa, pool size (this was a big one mentioned by many), sunshelf, benches. Advise was generally get what you want, you will regret not doing so vs. the lost money when all is complete
-Robot/auto cleaner

What's our short list for 'must-haves' in our new pool?
-Water features (medium/large waterfall in the deep end, bubblers in sunshelf) - IMO these turn an ordinary pool into 'wow' when done correctly
-SWCG
-Sunshelf - after seeing a few pools with/without, this is just too cool to pass up
-Easytouch/screen logic automation
-Multi-color LED lighting
-Some type of unique coping (stamped concrete cantilever or stone)
-Heater (my wife's request)

What's up for debate/pushing out for later on?
-Extra decking (limitations with our township, we are already looking at 900+ sq ft around the pool)
-Detailed landscaping
-Upgrade plaster to quartz/pebble
-Perhaps downsize/simplify waterfall

What's up for debate/pushing out for later on?
-Extra decking (limitations with our township, we are already looking at 900+ sq ft around the pool)
-Detailed landscaping
-Upgrade plaster to quartz/pebble
-Perhaps downsize/simplify waterfall

In my area the pebble tec is almost standard for the known builders. Upgrading automation might cost more than the pebble upgrade and it can be done later. The finish is a much more worth upgrade IMO.

I have a kegarator and ice maker right at the door out to the pool. I fill a plastic pitcher to a certain line, put the pitcher in the bucket, dump ice over the bucket with 2 plastic cups and cover the whole thing with 2-3 towels. Ice lasts through as many refills as you can stand. So for me:

OzhRZBx.jpg

In my area the pebble tec is almost standard for the known builders. Upgrading automation might cost more than the pebble upgrade and it can be done later. The finish is a much more worth upgrade IMO.

In my area quartz is generally a 4-5000 upgrade and pebble tec is around 8-10K for a 750 sq ft pool. :( Automation coming in at 2500-ish. Ugh.

This one is more of a I don't want. It's not having a Remote/control box. My PB didn't understand at first but I asked if I can control everything from my phone/tablet. He said yes. I saved a lot a money. Why have something that can break/get lost and costs a lot, when I have so many other electronics that can control the pool for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.